View Single Post
Unread 11-22-2001, 11:30 PM   #6
Art Buchanan

Default Shooter VS. Collectible..

This subject has been hashed out from time to time. The end result seems to leave impression with newbies that if it ain't near mint it is not collectible. The term "shooter" contnues to thrown around to infer a substandard Luger that no one would enjoy or may have much use for unless they wanted it to knock around with at the range. The term is used to degrade a Luger when a dealer is buying. Surely you all note that thousands of import Lugers have been sold in past years. Do you guys think that they are only being enjoyed and purchased for the sole purchase to shoot them. Also note that Simpson and others advertise restored Lugers at some high prices [and someone seems to buy them] I note a KU on Simpson list with import marks that sure sold for a bunch more than a so called "shooter". My thought is that a shooter luger would be one with significant mismatch parts and well worn finish or pitting. I firmly believe that there are a whole lot more guys out there that collect some nice Lugers that may have a mismatched side plate, trigger or safety lever etc---but basicaly a mostly original Luger that looks good to them. Some times these can be made to look better by finding a matching part. Maybe restraw parts or rechecker grips---and heaven forbid use a bit of professional touch up blue on the side plate hump. The Luger then looks a bunch better to the owner and is more impressive to his friends. AND it did not cost a fortune to own. The "experts" then say you have devalued the Luger. I disagree---if the Luger only cost $500 to start with and one spent some time on it and maybe another $50 ---I'll bet it is still worth $550. "Pretty" sells things . So, unless you have a rare Luger, I say to you new guys---go ahead and make it look pretty. If it only cost $500 to start with---you are going to have to really screw it up to make it worth less than $500 next year. Unless the Luger is a near piece of crap that is only mechanicaly safe---quit calling them "shooters" Call them lesser grade collectibles or something! But let us not discourage and down grade the regular wage earner who can only aford less than mint Lugers by refering to theirs as just Shooters. They are just as proud of thier Lugers as the well healed collector.