View Single Post
Unread 11-01-2008, 03:08 AM   #12
raygun
User

Quote:
Originally posted by alvin
I have one question regarding Imperial Long barrel Lugers (Artillery, Navy). Were they supposed to have their barrels shortened to 99m/m after the Great War..... Why didn't we see many of those today? On the contrary, I have never seen one. How did so many long barrel Lugers survive?
Alvin , I guess the main reason so many Artillery, and too a much lesser extent, Navy Lugers survive is because they were such a prized souveneer and many came back with our servicemen.

If they were required to be shortened in Germany after the war, then they may be rare in their country of origin.

Come to think of it we don't seem to have any German collectors on the forum , but perhaps they have their own?

If you look carefully at my Avatar you will notice that it is an artillery luger with a shortened barrel . I'm surprised no one has commented on this.

This was done in the 1970's here , when the only reason you could own a pistol was for target shooting, and as the Luger was quite accurate, it was often put to that purpose. But the barrel was bit too long and unweildy for regular target shooting, so they were shortened.

Much to our shock and horror today of course !!