View Single Post
Unread 07-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #9
lugerholsterrepair
Lifetime Forum
Patron

Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,429 Posts

Christian, I understand your concerns. Connolly's is primarily Lanolin. It has some alchohol spirits to facilitate evaporation.

Yes, it will darken leather a shade or two. I would have assumed this would be either common sense or discovered here on the Forum as I have written reams about it.

All is not lost however! Do not dispare! I have found that with time the leather will lighten up and return back towards it's original color.

You see...leather lightens as it loses molecular moisture and as other lanolins and creams dry out & tighten up and are not so expanded.

Wait some time and I think the color will return somewhat.

As for treatment...I have on more than one occasion told board Members here that I primarily use Connolly's on new leather and old leather that NEEDS it.

My recomendation is to use nothing on leather that is pliable and without fault. I will say this about Connolly's. I would rather use it and have the color drop a shade as not use it and have the leather surface & edge crack from bending. Once leather cracks there is no getting it back. 90 year old leather straps on Artillery rigs are prone to just this happening. I have seen many a closure stock strap that is a really pretty & dry surface color that will ripple and crack the surface when bent, ruining it forever, causing breaks in the surface and later flaking. A light treatment with Lanolin would have prevented this.

Jerry Burney

Yuma AZ 85367-6182

lugerholsterrepair@earthlink.net

928 342-7583 (CO & AZ) Year Round
719 207-3331 (cell)

"For those who Fight For It, Life has a flavor the protected will never know."
lugerholsterrepair is online now   Reply With Quote