View Single Post
Unread 07-05-2008, 01:01 PM   #9
Big Norm
RIP

I won't comment on the mag. Simpsons labeling it as matching has to be a joke. But I really liked Verns comment about the damage in the flange/receiver area. I missed that while I was looking at the "4" in the serial number under the barrel. Isn't the German "4" of that era supposed to have an 'open' head on it?

Someone commented on the toggle top and said that the the strawing and the bluing was not of the high percent that Simpson stated. That seems to be true. Personally, I look first look at the 'Locking Bolt' on Lugers that I am examining and this one looks pretty good. Looking at strawing and bluing and trying to rate it is kinda subjective. Especially in photographs. You have to physically examine a gun and make your own decisions. The thumb safety does not appear to have any strawing on it. If this gun as been reblued, they did a pretty good job, based on the pictures.

I tried to focus on the proof marks on the side of the receiver and just decided that I am not smart enough to get a clear picture. I have always had a little bit of trouble with Simpsons displays. Maybe someone else can do better.

I have to admit that Verns comment that this may not even be a navy really set me back on my heels though. I hope that someone will make additional comments on that. If I get my motor home fixed up and the anti freeze out of the water lines in time, I'll go to the upcoming OGCA meeting and take a peek at this gun (if Simpson brings it and if he is even there this time). Oh God! Gas is $4.25/gal and I want to take a motor home!!!
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote