View Single Post
Unread 06-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #58
alanint
User

Thanked 1,916 Times in 1,192 Posts

Most of the "Capture Papers" I have seen are WW2,
I have seen a few Korean and Vietman War capture documents, but never involving full auto guns for these two conflicts.
World War 2 policy generally prohibited returning vets from bringing back full auto stuff, unless the vet had an official capture document. WW2 seems to be the only conflict where a full auto provision existed. (WW1 was wide open. see my above story on my Great Uncle's aquisition of a German MG. Up until the NFA act of 1934, VFW posts and other entities such as Post Offices and townships could apply for ordnance to display at their posts or memorial parks. The goverment would simply send them a cannon, mortar, MG or anything else they requested!!)
Capture papers can be described a an official form that allowed the unit as a whole to register and catalogue weapons that were either meant for the unit museum or reference collection or at the commanding officer's discretion, allowed for an individual soldier. With this paper in hand the Vet could bring back most any souvernir without fear of confiscation. Today these papers are considered a legal amnesty or "permit to own" by BATF. There is only a requirement to re register the gun under the new system.
In Vietnam, for example, Carlos Hathcock, the famous Marine Sniper turned in and tagged the Mosin Nagant carried by a NVA counter sniper tasked with killing Hathcock. This is the famous rifle where Hathcock shot his adversary clean through the entire scope. A feat replicated in the Tom Berringer movie "Sniper" Although the rifle was tagged to be legally brought home, it was stolen by a rear area type.
I also understand that General Norman Schwartzkoff (sp?) had a fully operational presentation AK on his office wall back in the US given to him by the Saudis after Gulf War 1. I doubt very much if that ever went through BATF registry.
There is a neat little newsreel on the web entitled something like"Majic Eye Spots GI Souvenirs" It deals with the first rudimentary x ray machines which were used to scan GIs luggage, especially inmediate post war occupation troops luggage, (which is when the vast majority of these larger guns entered the US. They were brought back by post war GIs with the time, means and opportunity to acquire them. Most combat troops just wanted to get home and rarely brought back more than a side arm).
alanint is offline   Reply With Quote