View Single Post
Unread 05-05-2008, 12:55 PM   #40
Zamo
User

One of my father's cousins was a Lt. Col. during the war (and he's still alive, with a mind sharp as a tack!), and brought home a Luger. My Dad said he'd ask him if he still has it "next time he see's him", but that's been several months now, and with guys of this age (My Dad is 84 and a vet of the Pacific war), there is a sense of urgency I am reluctant to convey. I was hoping to find out more about it, and possibly acquire it (all he had was daughters with no interest in such things).
Another cousin was a Maj. in Europe, and brought home a pristine FN Browning 1922 with extra mag and holster. It's mine now, and I'd love to have a "family" Luger join it in my collection.
For what it's worth, my Dad brought home a bunch of stuff from his scenic travels with the 1st MarDiv: A Japanese battle flag, a deactivated Japanese Grenade, and 20mm shell, a deactivated U.S. grenade, a last ditch T99 Arisaka rifle. He also brought home two 1911A1 pistols, but, at the last minute, traded them for a bracelet made of seashells to give to my mother. She promptly "lost" the "gawdawful thing". I always love rubbing that one in my Dad's face...then I show him the current value of wartime 1911's.
The Japanese grenade and flag are currently in our towns small museum, and I have the 20mm cartridge and US Grenade as well as the Type 99.
Dad was part of a forward observer team, directing artillery with the 11th Marines, and fought at Cape Glouster, Peleliu, and Okinawa...and Pavuvu.

My collection:
http://home.comcast.net/~gunspotz/guns.htm
Zamo is offline   Reply With Quote