Thread: 1917 vs. 1918
View Single Post
Unread 04-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #11
Big Norm
RIP

Ed,
I agree with Raygun. The landing at Gallipoli was a total disaster for the poor Aussi soldiers that were sent there. The British navy landed everyone in the wrong locations. The Turks held the high ground and were picking everyone off on the beaches. To compound the problem there was a lack of fresh water. The then British minister of the navy, Winston Churchhill, was forced to resign. It was a disaster that haunted Churchhill all the way thru WW2 and influenced his thinking even then. I don't think that there were many trophies taken there because the Aussies were lucky to get out at all. The casualties were horrible.

In my humble opinion, elsewear, the Aussies and the Canadians showed GREAT valor during that war when they were given almost impossible tasks and suffered horrendous loses. I have read the book 'The Guns of August' by Barbara Tuchman and was stunned by the senseless disregard for life on the battlefield by the allies military leadership. More good books are 'World War 1' by S.L.A Marshall and 'A Short History of WW1' by James L. Stokesbury. If you are really into a true tear jerker, then read '11th Day, 11th Hour, 11th Month' by Joseph Persico. There is no need, on my part, to tell you what that sad book is about. I cried a lot while listening to it, especially the part about the last American soldier to die. Something that no soldier, in any war, in any army wants to be. Very sad.

I have these books on audio tape and listen to them while deer hunting. While I learn a lot, you now know why I rarely actually get a deer. But the history of that time period is truly interesting. I do have an artillery stock that has the name of an Aussie hero scratched into it. This name is on a monument in Australia and I always wanted to ask an Australian about it. Someday, I will post a thread here for comments.
Big Norm
Big Norm is offline   Reply With Quote