View Single Post
Unread 04-09-2008, 01:56 AM   #26
Imperial Arms
Banned

Hello Bill,

Congratulations on winning a very fine M1917 LP-08 rig. Do not be surprised by the competition that you received from Tom - he was paid by the seller to jack up the price or he was just becoming damn greedy (just joking)!!

I have read the various comments and also noticed the 'microscopic' details that various members have demonstrated, and I would like to add some comments which might be helpful.

The magazine pouch was usually issued in the same colour as the field belt according to the German Army regulations. In the early years of WWI, the pouches were normally brown color and they became darker to black colour towards the end of the war. It was generally the same change with the holsters of the LP-08 rig which the earlier holsters are in brown and the later ones in black. It appears that the holster on your rig (dated 1915)was previously brown and somebody in the past may have darkened the holster with black polish. It is acceptable to encounter holsters dated 1915 on pistols dated 1917. You are lucky to obtain an original strap in top condition which was the first article to break when carrying the rig.

The pistol is absolutely correct, although a few members may have questioned the carved '9' on the grips. In my opinion, the shape of the '9' does not follow the regulations that were issued for Mauser C96 (Red 9) pistols used during WWI, and I suppose that the '9' markings on this LP-08 rig were carved in the grips after WWI. It is possible that this rig was not used during the war and it may have 'escaped' Germany to another country until it was brought to the US. If the grips are unnumbered, that should not concern you because everything on the pistol remains consistent.

The sight adjustment tool is a modern copy, and there is a discussion on this forum regarding original tools (one of which I have in my collection).

If you wish to eventually build a complete LP-08 rig, you should 'hunt' for a second model TM-08, a loader, a TM-08 canvas carrier and an original manual (all of which I have with my LP-08 rig).

Cheers,
Albert
Imperial Arms is offline   Reply With Quote