View Single Post
Unread 09-19-2001, 06:59 AM   #7
Big Norm
RIP

Default Re: Where have all the newbies gone?

I don't know it I am a newbie or not. I have about 35 or so Lugers of the imperial era. Mostly artilleries and navies. I have accomplished satisfying my interests in that I have what I consider "sets" of these guns plus some extras. Now I am into finding accessories to these guns such as the matching mags and stocks. I don't plan to buy anymore unless the price is so good that I can not refuse a good "investment".

By "investment" I mean something like the 1917 artillery I picked up at last weeks Ohio Gun Collectors show at the IX Center. $850 for a matching arty with a repro stock, holster and straps. Sure, the locking bolt, side plate and trigger were over buffed. But considering that the repro stock and holster is worth $200, then I only paid $650 for the matching arty and it has a good bore and adjustible front sight. Its hard to walk away from something like that.

I also picked up a "shooter" for $330. I almost passed it up until I realized that it had an original navy mag on it plus a set of great original grips. When I go to gun shows I always carry a wish list of magazines serial numbers with me. So I always look for the numbers that I want on mismatched guns.

As Art Buchanan would say, this is show and tell time with a little bit of chatting. But I am not ashamed to brag a bit when I think that I got a good deal. Modesty is not my strong suit.

But I have noticed that my interests are expanding a bit. I am getting more and more into studying the WW1 era and its causes and effects. I got a few audio tapes on the subject that I listen to while I am deer hunting. I found that I can sit in a deer blind and listen to a good book at the same time. It helps to keep me from freezing and falling asleep. I recently bought a book on the autobiography of Kaiser Wilhelm II. I always wondered what became of him. I don't know when I will ever read this book since it is quite large and while I have plenty of time to listen to a good audio book, I have little time to actually read a printed book.

I know that I strayed from the original question. But I have found that my interest on specific lugers on a forum is waining because my interest is expanding into related areas. But I still will drop in from time to time because I do enjoy a good discussion. But I don't enjoy some of the arguments. I have a short list of names who I have learned to avoid because I feel that they are more interested in arguing than in discussing. But that is another discussion for another time.

Big Norm