View Single Post
Unread 02-06-2007, 04:01 PM   #7
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Thomas,

Here is a posting I made in the past in another discussion about the A&F Lugers :

" If you are reading in the V. Bobba book on Swiss lugers, I think he is talking about the A&F lugers not being made in Switzerland...not in France.

Bobba states that an American retailer ordering commercial lugers and then having barrels made in Switzerland (possibly by SIG) does not realy make the luger a Swiss product...but the "Made in Switzerland" on the barrel may have been A&F attempt to "hype" sales of a luger that may be mistaken by American buyers as Swiss-made.

The A&F lugers are DWM-German made Swiss commerical lugers with the A&F barrel added. Maybe the 1920's was a better time to sell "Swiss-made" guns in the USA rather than German-made guns...as we just finished the Great War with the Germans so American's may not have wanted to buy much German stuff, then...

I do not think it is known, for certain, where the barrels where changed out...in Germany, in Switzerland, or in the USA. My WAG would be in the USA with barrels bought by A&F from Switzerland.

I think this is the "deception" in marketing author Bobba may have been referring to...leading the American buyers to thinking the entire luger was made in Switzerland...when only the barrel was.

BTW...if this is the DFW lugers you are looking at, I think it is wrong. Certainly that "odd" stock lug added is not right.

I do not recall the other A&F lugers having a stock lug.

One also needs to question why the DFW offering does not have the 4-digit serial number on the left side of its receiver flat, as well. If I recall correctly, other A&F lugers do. This gun may have the 4-digits...but the glare of the photo makes it hard to tell or not.

A good photo of the front sight barrel band may be useful as well. DFW photos seem to crop out this important detail. "
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote