View Single Post
Unread 01-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
Conny
User

Thank you for the reply GT. It has not been in a fire, flood or anything else. If it were a Martz conversion or damaged, wouldn't the stampings under the side plate and overall condition still be better after a complete restoration?

It is listed in the Data Base #55029 as AE converted to carbine. The book by Aaron Davis under 1902 carbine serial number range states, "21,200 to 22,100 and 23,450 to 24,900. Some straglers from 30,000 to 69,000 (probably special orders)". Also, it states under the Interesting Variations section, "Examples exist with an American Eagle on the chamber. These command a premium from the US collectors".

Now everyone here knows I am NOT an expert but, the serial number falls within the range and is listed as having an American Eagle on the chamber. I seriously doubt a collector or buyer would take an original AE and have it converted to carbine rather than buy a carbine outright considering costs involved to convert. But again, I am not an expert and only have one book for reference thus far. I'll stay to my deductions until I research proof otherwise but I believe it was converted to 1902 carbine because the serail number does not fall in the 1920 carbine serial number range what-so-ever. But, if being a late 1902 it probably had flat checkered toggles and was more like the 1920 model. I'll continue researching. Thank you again GT.