View Single Post
Unread 10-29-2006, 11:27 AM   #8
John D.
Administrator
& Site Owner
LugerForum
Patron

Hi Folks,

My thanks.. It's nice to be home... Jen & I arrived back last night about 1:30 AM (Saturday night) from nearly two weeks outside the USA - without an Internet connection, access to e-mail (or TV, or telephone, or a flushing toilet, or potable water, or, most of the time â?? the simple convenience of electricity..).

This morning - I was struggling with a reply to you all as to where we've been, for what purpose and how we feel after our trip. But for all that thought before posting - I'm still speechless. I can't come up with the right words for you to read. After going through hundreds of photos - with hundreds more yet to be developed - I thought I might be able to show you a single picture which might begin to capture the essence of my thoughts and range of emotions which span humility, being daunted, humbled and deeply saddened. There is no such single photo to share - simply a mosaic of images of abject poverty, proud people and children who have no parents, no shelter - and little hope in a country which is plagued by unemployment rates reaching 90%.

I know this experience has affected me in many ways. All were unexpected. All are powerful changes instituted by the mere fact that before - I didn't know how to care for people in a distant land who quietly lead lives of simple desperation. I'm not sure today - I can comprehend the efforts required to make a difference in a miniscule part of the world to a handful of orphans?

In short, imagine the worst inner city conditions in the USA - now double the strife, destitution homelessness, and then extrapolate those same conditions across the entire country. Can you imagine? I, now can, as it exists. I witnessed it first-hand.

What I will say - is that I didn't choose this path, rather - I know now, it chose me. Nor did I choose the orphans, orphanage and homeless, as they again - chose me.

But, since the Good Lord chose me for the spokesman for this cause, and I have no idea *why* - I know I'll find the right words, the right pictures and the right path. In the meantime, just know your thoughts, wishes and prayers are the basis to be able to begin this journey.

And your patience and support while this Forum was off-line, is more appreciated than you may realize.

My thanks for that â?? and yes, again - it is nice to be homeâ?¦

John D.
John D. is offline   Reply With Quote