View Single Post
Unread 10-06-2006, 01:14 PM   #20
Pete Ebbink
User

Hi Thierry,

As with the other luger I mentioned, your luger probably had its receiver originally inspected/proofed by Voglesang before he retired in 1912 but was finally proofed by Muhlemann after he became chief inspector in 1913.

I would guess he was too prideful to stamp on the same side as Voglesang did and just decided to stamp on the right side of the receiver. Just a guess on my part with no documentation to support this.

Another scenario : I have also seen two (2) M906 cross/sunburst Ordnance lugers made prior to 1909 that were reworked (and rebarreled) and had the " +/M " added to the right side as well...so it seems Muhlemann stamped on the right side for major reworks to luger, as well. I have also been told of one (1) M1900 Swiss luger with the " +/M " on the right side; but I have not seen this one in person and the owner was not equiped to send digital photos.

Since the serial number of your luger dates its manufacture to 1913, I think the first scenario is probably what explains your luger # 13866 and the other one owned by a LF member that was numbered # 13937 which was also made in 1913...the first year Muhlemann was chief.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote