Thread: Mitchell Luger
View Single Post
Unread 05-18-2006, 01:56 AM   #29
shadow
User

Over the weekend I came across a good looking, matching number, re-blued shooter
that was for sale on this website for a good price so I decided to buy it. I cannot
afford two lugers right now so I have decided to list my Mitchell Luger for sale on
this website. I want to be full and open about the jamming problem that this gun is
having so I will reference this thread in the listing.

The problem:

Once every magazine or two the gun experiences the jam shown in the two photos
below. When this happened the breechblock does pick up the next round and begins to feed
it properly but the spent case blocks the next round from entering the chamber.

The contributing factors???:

The bottom face of the breechblock is pushed up which I donĂ¢??t believe is normal.

There is a hole in the bottom of the breech block.

The extractor appears to be too far forward. If you look at the back of the extractor
(by the spring) the extractor is about 1/8 inch forward of being flush. In the second photo I push
the cartridge back and you can see light between the rear of the extractor and the breechblock face.

With the gun disassembled I extracted several cartridges from the chamber using the breechblock. The extractor allows
the cartridge to move forward to the point that it is just barley staying attached to the breech block.
The cartridge fell off of the breechblock face several times during this test. See photos.

My theory:

I believe that the top of the cartridge is staying attached to the extractor but the
bottom of the cartridge is coming off of the face of the breech block and tipping up
to the point that it does not contact the ejector when the breechblock is full aft.

Then when the next round is being stripped from the magazine it is blocked by the spent cartridge.

I was planning to ship the gun to AIMCO for a new breechblock and extractor this week,
but the purchase of my second Luger means that I need to sell this first one and recoup some of the money now.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote