View Single Post
Unread 05-07-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Ron Wood
2010 LugerForum
Patron

Location: Santa Teresa New Mexico just outside of the West Texas town of El Paso
Thanked 5,099 Times in 1,676 Posts

Charlie,

You are correct in your initial assessment that it is a Type III frame, most likely from a 1906 Commercial Luger. When you get a chance to carefully remove the grips, I think you will find that it was originally set up for a grip safety that has subsequently been removed and the thumb safety changed to the later type. And, I wouldnâ??t be surprised if the â??GESICHERTâ? safety marking has been pantographed rather than stamped (but also wouldnâ??t be surprised if it was stamped).

The barrel/receiver group is 1920â??s vintage with the vertical Crown/N proof. I would like to see a clearer picture of the marking on the right side of the receiver. Is the barrel serial numbered and proofed?

It appears that the extractor, ejector, trigger and sides of the forward toggle link have been â??jeweledâ? or â??engine turnedâ? from the circular patterns that I think I see. The gun is beautifully finished and I suspect it is a gunsmithâ??s pet project.

For 700 bucks I think you got a pretty nice Lugerâ?¦not necessarily original but a quality piece none-the-less. Good going GI, I hope your future holds many more Lugers.

Ron
US Army Retired