View Single Post
Unread 03-25-2006, 01:35 PM   #23
Pete Ebbink
User

Jesse,

Good observation you have made and an excellent question that has bothered me for some time as well.

The Swiss 06/34 Mauser lugers are in a 100 or so serial number range, but I do not think I have seen any research or data that would suggest they were in a consecutive numbered series.

I would WAG that the Swiss commercial lugers were made in small batches along side and interspersed with other commerical v-series lugers at Mauser at the time.

I have read that for a commerical luger to be allowed in Switzerland at gun ranges and shooting clubs, it would need to have the cross/sunburst on the gun...either done by the manufacturer or arsenal-approved gun smiths in CH.

If a "Swiss" 06/34 Mauser luger is a blank chambered luger, I would venture a WAG that is was just a 06/34 commerical luger and not one that went to Switzerland. I would WAG that these blank-chambered lugers have been mistakenly called "Swiss" as their serial numbers seemed to fall into the serial-number range of the other known/reported Swiss lugers with the cross/sunburst on their chambers.
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote