View Single Post
Unread 02-05-2006, 11:50 AM   #13
Pete Ebbink
User

Green 57,

From the photos, I would venture to guess this one is a Bern arsenal rework...which does not usually affect value much in the USA.

Here are my impressions :

1. The grips screws show much more blue wear than the remainder of the pistol.

2. The little pin on the top surface of the toggle knobs is blued. This is usually "in the white" with factory pieces (or a new "in the white" pin is used once the refinish work is completed and the gun is reassembled...).

3. There is no blue wear shown along the front, side edges of the barrel's muzzle. Such wear occurs when a luger goes in/out of those tight-fitting Swiss luger holster. Since this was a militay issue gun in use for some time, I would expect to see such wear patterns. Once the luger was sold, off by the Ordnance, it was probably redone and the new owner(s) probably did not holster it much.

4. The straw looks very new and fresh. You would typically see some wear along the right side of the trigger when the right trigger finger wraps around it.

5. Blue overall does not appear to show much/any patina or oxidation. A gun made in 1922 should show some...at least more than this one displays.

6. Ask the seller of the condition of the gun's bore. If worn and tired...things are not right. A gun with such a strong and shiney finish would typically not show much bore wear & tear. It would be difficult to shoot a barrel to the end of its life and not pick up more finish wear along the way.

7. Finally...in the photo of this luger (below)...the little knob protruding on the right side of the frame just above the trigger is usually strawed colored...as this is the far right-hand tip of the trigger's pivot shaft. It should be strawed on this right side...since the entire trigger is strawed. To be in the blue would mean that some cold bluing or other bluing was applied...does it not ?

Here is a photo I borrowed from the Simpson's LTD web site of another '24 Bern. This shows what I mention above in my comment # 7 as well as comment # 4.

Hope this helps...

Why not ask the dealer/seller to make a statement in writing to you if they think the finish is factory original or a rework ?
Pete Ebbink is offline   Reply With Quote