LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Stock Rig Value? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=9035)

Dwight Gruber 09-22-2002 02:33 AM

Stock Rig Value?

I've begun to get the hang of Luger gun values, but leather and the like are still beyond me.

So...

I've been offered an Artillery stock/holster rig, original. Its been used, but to my eye seems in good shape--stitching is tight, leather is not marred but is "wrinkled" at the end of the barrel, straps are not delicate, stock iron has good blue and ok straw, wood has no serious mars. The biggest fault is that the stock iron boot is missing.

I can have this rig for $450. I've never seen a stock/holster rig offered, so I have nothing to compare it to. Is this a decent buy? Should I keep my wallet in my pocket? Any thoughts and comments will be truly appreciated.

--Dwight

Frank 09-22-2002 09:23 AM

Dwight, snap that little sucker up as fast as you can. The stock is worth about $450, if it's in primo condition, all by itself!! Jerry Burney can make you a very authentic boot for the rig, he is THE "lugerholsterrepair". Good Luck

lugerholsterrepair 09-22-2002 11:25 AM

Dwight, as Frank says, run over there and buy it, don't delay or someone else will snap it up! Be sure you look it over carefully to authenticate it's originality but once that is accomplished it is easily worth $450.00 Jerry Burney

Dwight Gruber 09-22-2002 02:24 PM

Guys, thanks for the enthusiastic endorsement.

Jerry, for me, and for anybody else who lacks experience with these things, what in particular should we be looking for? Are the photos and descriptions in Still adequate, or are there some particular telltale giveaways? The serial# on the stock iron, iirc, is crisply and evenly stamped, I have seen sloppy stampings on repros with which to compare mentally.

--Dwight

lugerholsterrepair 09-22-2002 09:12 PM

Dwight, On the stock there should be a crown over a letter stamped in the left side about midway. It should have dark wood with an old patina, some dents and dings and the most important is to look at the wood to metal fit. The Germans were masters at fitting the wood to metal and it should be virtually perfect. Repro stocks have gaps and look bad.

The holster should look and smell old. Look closely at the stitching. It should be linen not cotton or synthetic. Linen is stranded but slick. Not fuzzy. Look for a maker mark on the top lid and a date. Should have wear places and scuffs. Look at the stock block in the back to see if it has been used and somewhat stretched. I could go on and on here. It just should look old and not new. You have to have a little knowledge and experience here and you can tell immediately. Hope this helps. Jerry Burney

John Sabato 09-23-2002 12:29 PM

Dwight, post photos if you can after you get it... and make sure you get to return it if the consensus is that it is a reproduction. $450.00 is way too much for a repro... but a steal on an original.

Lugerdoc 09-24-2002 09:20 AM

Dwight, I can supply light brown repro lug protector boots, complete with stap @$15, if desired. Tom H.

Dwight Gruber 09-28-2002 02:41 PM

Coda to the story.

I had an opportunity to reexamine the rig today at the Clark County (WA) gun show. In a word: totallybogus.

There were no maker stamps, either on the holster or the mag pouch. There was no inspectors stamp on the wood (Still, Imperial Lugers p. 109 allows for this possibility, however). Magnification of the serial number in the stock iron revealed that the numbers were small and 'squatty', the 4 was closed at the top and the 7 proportionally not what one would expect and did not have the serif 'hook' at the end.

Overall, the impression was that the entire rig was made out of rather lighter-weight, 'floppier' leather than I have handled with other Luger holsters, and seemed to be recently dyed. The stitching threads seemed to be too close to the color of the rest of the stock. Inside the smell was of new process or recent dye, rather than age and must. The finishing work did go clear down into the toe of the holster, however, rather than stopping partway down and leaving new, raw leather the rest of the way, which I have seen on three repros. The wood gave the impression of calculated distress rather than nicks and abrasions from use.

Granted, I don't have experience with authentic Artillery rigs, but this one just didn't "feel" right, and I have to allow myself my own common sense.

Needless to say I didn't buy, and I regret that the seller is stuck with his unfortunate acquisition. He is a fairly experienced Luger guy, but we both learned something here today.

Thank you Jerry for your helpful commentary, and Jan Still for the continued indespensible resource books.

--Dwight

Edward Tinker 09-28-2002 03:54 PM

Sounds like a good decision to me Dwight. Thought it out, looked it over, nope, good decision.