LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic & Other Firearms (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Nambu Type 14 Adoption??? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41478)

sheepherder 11-16-2021 04:34 PM

Nambu Type 14 Adoption???

I just finished the three 1945-era Iwo Jima DVD's by Clint Eastwood back in 2006 and it seemed that only the Type 94 is depicted. IMDB notes that much attention was given to historical accuracy. I looked in the NRA Guide and if correct, it states the Type 14 was adopted in 1925 and the Type 94 in 1934. POTW confirms this.

This seems backward to me. The Type 14 looks more advanced, mechanically.

Anyone with any knowledge of this??? :confused:

Edward Tinker 11-16-2021 04:52 PM

sure, I've owned both - the T14 was a bit fragile and was many years old (Grandfather Nambu, Pappa nambu T14 nambu then the T94 and then the Himada

Sieger 11-17-2021 12:15 AM

Hi,

The NRA Guide Book is correct.

Why would you think that the Type 94 would proceed the Type 14?

Actually, I really like the T-14 design, though the 8mm Nambu cartridge leaves a lot to be desired.

Sieger

sheepherder 11-17-2021 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieger (Post 341959)
Why would you think that the Type 94 would proceed the Type 14?

Perhaps it's snobbery on my part; my idea of esthetics. To me, the Borchardt C 93 is more 'beautiful' than say the Whitney Wolverine. The Type 14 looks more 'modern' to me than the Type 94. The same way a BSA A10 is more beautiful [to me] than the BSA A65. :)

There is also the issue with the sear bar. As a mechanic, I would expect that obvious defects would be 'fixed' in later models, rather than introducing new ones.

The two movies do show the hard clamshell holsters on the Japanese, which to me indicate the Type 14 rather than the Type 94. Since they were intended to be 1945-year movies, it seems odd that they wouldn't have Type 94 specific holsters. Were the two holster designs interchangeable??? :confused:

lugerholsterrepair 11-17-2021 10:41 AM

Were the two holster designs interchangeable??? No not at all. The type 14 was made with thick leather spacers inside that fit ONLY the type 14. The type 94 was a smaller soft shell that a type 14 wouldn't fit into.

Edward Tinker 11-17-2021 11:21 AM

yes, the holsters are totally different, I have a couple of T14's right now, but not a T94. It looks odd, but actually felt ok in my hand. I have shot both.
They are sweet shooting guns (Jerry should we tell them about shooting a baby nambu and used a clip of real 7mm baby rounds?)

lugerholsterrepair 11-17-2021 11:32 AM

(Jerry should we tell them about shooting a baby nambu and used a clip of real 7mm baby rounds?) No, no one would believe a wild story like that!

sheepherder 11-17-2021 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 341967)
No, no one would believe a wild story like that!

I dunno...There's a lot of wild stories floating around on this forum... :rolleyes:

Mister Sunshine 11-17-2021 03:00 PM

A type 34 Nambu passed thru my hands. I was amazed that the bar that transferred the trigger movement to the sear passed along side the frame unprotected the way the Luger is I have heard the pistol was famous for shooting the soldier in the in his own foot.

Sieger 11-17-2021 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Sunshine (Post 341971)
A type 34 Nambu passed thru my hands. I was amazed that the bar that transferred the trigger movement to the sear passed along side the frame unprotected the way the Luger is I have heard the pistol was famous for shooting the soldier in the in his own foot.

Hi,

A Luger can be accidently fired when the pistol is disassembled, but NOT when it is fully assembled. The T-94, however, can.

Sieger

Sieger 11-17-2021 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepherder (Post 341962)
Perhaps it's snobbery on my part; my idea of esthetics. To me, the Borchardt C 93 is more 'beautiful' than say the Whitney Wolverine. The Type 14 looks more 'modern' to me than the Type 94. The same way a BSA A10 is more beautiful [to me] than the BSA A65. :)

There is also the issue with the sear bar. As a mechanic, I would expect that obvious defects would be 'fixed' in later models, rather than introducing new ones.

The two movies do show the hard clamshell holsters on the Japanese, which to me indicate the Type 14 rather than the Type 94. Since they were intended to be 1945-year movies, it seems odd that they wouldn't have Type 94 specific holsters. Were the two holster designs interchangeable??? :confused:

Hi,

Perhaps you should ignore Hollywood portrayals and concentrate on personally verifiable facts as your guide to reality.

Otherwise, Eastwood will not "Make your day".

Respectfully,

Sieger

sheepherder 11-17-2021 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieger (Post 341973)
Perhaps you should ignore Hollywood portrayals and concentrate on personally verifiable facts as your guide to reality.

There is no reality, except what we make. :thumbup:

Sieger 11-17-2021 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepherder (Post 341974)
There is no reality, except what we make. :thumbup:

Hi.

I debated what reality truly is with a group of students from St. John's University a few years ago.

My position was..."Reality is paying your bills".

Who could disagree with that?

Sieger

sheepherder 11-17-2021 08:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sieger (Post 341975)
My position was..."Reality is paying your bills".
Who could disagree with that?

No disagreement here! Your position let me buy a nice sporty car to play with in my senior years... :D

Edward Tinker 11-18-2021 12:11 AM

yes, thats a nice color Rich - which reminds me, ran the super duper battery charger on the 2006, and the next morning, rrrr, rrrr - nada. Guess I'll buy a new battery again.

- I have to say that history on the Japanese pistols centers on Colonel Nambu, he must have had some family connections :)

Mister Sunshine 11-18-2021 03:10 PM

I think Col Nambu should have paid a visit to John M. Browning. It would have served him well.