LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Collector's standards for Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41472)

jeb111 11-13-2021 11:30 AM

Collector's standards for Lugers

I'm sure it has been talked about many times but I was curious what most collectors look for and what they are willing to compromise on when getting a Luger? Of course 100% original finish, completely matching #'s is what everyone wants but with availability of funds and Lugers that isn't always an option. For me in a military Luger I will sacrifice some original finish, bore condition isn't terribly important but I do place value on matching #'s but not matching mag's or even firing pins or hold opens. A commercial I place more importance on original finish condition and matching #'s, bore condition I don't expect pristine but I don't want a haled out one either. Just curious what other guys think is important.
Jim

hayhugh 11-13-2021 12:05 PM

I think you covered it quite well Jim............

Doubs 11-13-2021 01:50 PM

Unless it's a very rare variation, bore condition does matter to me. I won't buy a shot out or badly corroded bore. Otherwise, matching numbers, grip condition and original finish are important.

Mac Cat 11-13-2021 02:15 PM

I look for a complete gun in working order with the matching parts. I'm most curious about the technical and mechanical details of a gun, as well as the accessories. I have two lugers for shooting, as well.

gunnertwo 11-13-2021 03:44 PM

In my experience, if the bore is trash and the outside is excellent I'm pretty sure it refinished.

G2

Edward Tinker 11-13-2021 03:54 PM

Jim did cover it well, although we all look different on bores, what is a percentage of finish, and for me, rarer or desirable I will let the other things slide a bit.

HerrKaiser 11-13-2021 04:55 PM

Beginners vs more advanced collectors will also influence choices to acceptable and desired qualities.

4 Scale 11-13-2021 05:14 PM

The better the price the more issues can be tolerated, within a range.

Wear is not only OK but actually desirable, given the number of refinishes I have seen that a seller touted as high condition/original finish. I generally tolerate hold opens and grips not being numbered to the gun as those numbers are not visible unless the pistol is dis-assembled.

Personally I don't acquire pistols with significant visible rust, that tends to be a deal killer for me.

cirelaw 11-13-2021 05:48 PM

Inflation!

Vlim 11-14-2021 11:29 AM

It depends on variation, markings, interest, needed for study in my case. I'm not too interested in 'perfect' examples as my budget is limited.

I'd rather purchase an ugly gun with a cool feature than a perfect gun with none. Excessive rust and over the top refinishes are a no go to me, arsenal refininishes excluded.

spangy 11-14-2021 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlim (Post 341933)
I'd rather purchase an ugly gun with a cool feature than a perfect gun with none. Excessive rust and over the top refinishes are a no go to me, arsenal refininishes excluded.

I could not have said it any better myself and Vlim's requirements reflect my own to a tee.

One thing an 'ugly' gun usually has over a 'pimped' gun is history and that history is what makes collecting such an exciting addictive endeavor. :thumbup: