LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Semi-Collectibles/Collectible Shooters? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40857)

HerrKaiser 01-18-2021 11:27 AM

Semi-Collectibles/Collectible Shooters?

2 Attachment(s)
I am sure many of us have at least 1 Luger with some sort of flaw that diminishes overall collectible value but does not always send it straight to "shooter" status. Such as:
-An all matching gun that has a swath of "blood pitting", finish rash, or no finish (like my 1920 5 digit Commercial pictured here below)
- An all matching pistol with original, but 50% or poorer overall finish remaining.
- VOPO/Russian Capture reworks (which seem to be a growing niche)
- British Proofed guns
-Alphabet commercials in general

-Perhaps an outlier to the above ones, but an otherwise nice pistol that has a side plate, takedown lever, grips, or firing pin mismatch.

How do you all classify these types of pistols that I am trying to describe in your own collections?

DonVoigt 01-18-2021 12:28 PM

They are all "collectible" to someone; I have a small "collection" of shooters. ;)

"- VOPO/Russian Capture reworks (which seem to be a growing niche)
- British Proofed guns
-Alphabet commercials in general" are all collectible areas to more than a few guys.

An unusual unit marking or scarce variation could make an otherwise "shooter" into a
collectible for me- if only for a space holder till an upgrade comes along.

JMHO.

HerrKaiser 01-18-2021 01:12 PM

Correct, I just know that many seem to view alphabet commercials as shooter grade guns unless in mint condition due to their commonality.

The heart of this question is about all matching guns in original, but poor, finish. Or those with spots of pitting, finish loss, or finish rash. And guns with mismatched grips, side plates, firing pins and the like.

gunbugs 01-18-2021 02:11 PM

In my opinion, a mismatched sideplate makes the gun a pure shooter. Finish problems, such as rust or minor/moderate pitting,on an otherwise all matching gun, is not as significant, and would still retain it's collectible "status".

Norme 01-18-2021 02:39 PM

It all depends on rarity. Any mismatched part on a relatively common gun would, I agree, reduce it to shooter status. It's quite another story for a really rare and desirable gun. 1904 Navy #61 sold hammer down for $115.000 at R.I.A. back in 2012, it had a mis-matched side-plate among other issues.
Norm

Dwight Gruber 01-18-2021 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrKaiser (Post 336285)
...I just know that many seem to view alphabet commercials as shooter grade guns unless in mint condition due to their commonality...

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthre...light=Alphabet

--Dwight

Edward Tinker 01-18-2021 03:45 PM

I think that #2 and #3 are very close - and simply terms we use interchangeability.

But, as said above, there is a difference in what gun it is. I happily paid $2,000 for a import marked Simson 1925 (it also used to belong to a good friend of mine).

I think some people are idiots for paying what they do, and others a smart move, and I don't judge you for what you think is cool. A friend of mine once bought a very nice, 2 matching mag, early DWM for about $3500 - at the time folks thought he was crazy - I thought him a very smart collector.

Heinz 01-18-2021 04:04 PM

I have always noted that the alphabet commercials seemed to be manufactured to very high standards. The downside is the rarity of the 7.65 ammunition, but now it is cheaper and easier to find than 9mm. I like the caliber, I remember the first time I shot a woodchuck with a hollow point.

HerrKaiser 01-18-2021 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 336295)
I think that #2 and #3 are very close - and simply terms we use interchangeability.

Ed, I always saw a Low End Collectible as a placeholder type status that I still would not want to shoot, but a semi-collectible as one that is too unique to shoot regularly but not one that I would be afraid to run a magazine or 2 through from time to time at the range.

Edward Tinker 01-18-2021 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HerrKaiser (Post 336300)
Ed, I always saw a Low End Collectible as a placeholder type status that I still would not want to shoot, but a semi-collectible as one that is too unique to shoot regularly but not one that I would be afraid to run a magazine or 2 through from time to time at the range.

I can live with that :rockon:

mrerick 01-19-2021 02:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Luger that I shoot is a finish challenged 1937 Mauser that is all matching, and mechanically fine.

It has pitting and finish damage on the left side of the frame, barrel, side plate and receiver. Apart from that, it would probably be a mid range collectible.

Vlim 01-19-2021 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My former shooter (I stopped shooting due to health issues) was a nice 1937 P08 that got the VoPo treatment and was refurbished by a german outfit in the mid-90s. A nice looker, reliable but not 'original' any more.

When I retired from shooting, it went into the collection with its 1990s box and manual. It's not out of place there.

Proofed 01-21-2021 12:57 PM

the shooter

5 Attachment(s)
My shooter is matching except for side plate and mag. I bought the chrome plated1942 byf at an auction for 400 bucks without the side plate, The one on it now is a self fitted repop that works like a charm. this pistol rarely skips a beat. A pleasure to have and to hold and shoot.

Doubs 01-21-2021 01:26 PM

This is one of my shooters, an Alphabet commercial in .30 caliber that someone had nickel plated. It's proven to be reliable and has an excellent trigger.

The target was shot at 18 yards; two full mags.

https://i.imgur.com/jFx3u46.jpg

Edward Tinker 01-21-2021 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proofed (Post 336374)
My shooter is matching except for side plate and mag. I bought the chrome plated1942 byf at an auction for 400 bucks without the side plate, The one on it now is a self fitted repop that works like a charm. this pistol rarely skips a beat. A pleasure to have and to hold and shoot.

I once bought a fluid / paste that will put a nickel finish on something - you could do that for your sideplate. Its not perm at all :)

DonVoigt 01-21-2021 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 336377)
I once bought a fluid / paste that will put a nickel finish on something - you could do that for your sideplate. Its not perm at all :)

I think the "fluid/paste" is called "paint". :D

Seriously, a can of "chrome" spray paint would make that side plate
a close "match". :cheers:

Proofed 01-23-2021 02:28 PM

side plate

thanks for the suggestions i plan on polishing the plate but just havn't got around to it yet

Sergio Natali 01-25-2021 10:53 AM

I don't claim expertise at all but I have been studying and collecting firearms for quite a few decades now, and I think that the field is really broad. In the years I made quite a few big mistakes that I still regret, especially if you collect more than say two o three different types of guns, you need a lot of knowledge and experience not to mention money since generally you get what you pay for, so if you want a good "collectible" piece you shouldn't be afraid of opening your wallet.
I collected Lugers for a few years, and I think they are probably one of the most difficult types of guns to collect, due to their numerous variations, I still believe that top collectible Lugers can only be collected by top collectors.

To me a handgun can be considered a collectible only if it has these four qualities:
a) Scarcity: it's a rare item
b) Historical Significance: played some role in history
c) 100% Original: modified or customized will lose value and sometimes aren't even good shooters.
d) Condition: at least "fairly good"

YMMV