LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   General Discussions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Sales Tax on Gunbroker.com (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40756)

tharpo 11-28-2020 11:16 PM

Sales Tax on Gunbroker.com

Looks like Gunbroker will start collecting sales tax on all sales beginning Jan 1, 2021. Appears that if you sell something Gunbroker they will calculate taxes and charge the seller the tax and the regular GB fees. The seller has to collect from the buyer. This sucks!
Info from Gunbroker:

GunBroker.com will implementing the new Marketplace Facilitator Internet Sales Tax regulations on January 1st, 2021. We are in the middle of programming our system to handle the new regulations and will be putting out a more comprehensive email detailing the process when we are done.

As a marketplace, GunBroker.com will be required to collect and remit sales tax on all sales according to the state law. State tax is calculated based on the ship to address of the order.
What does this mean to me?

As a Buyer, if your state requires marketplace facilitators to collect and remit sales tax, you will be required to pay the tax due on your purchases on GunBroker.com. The tax amount will be included on your order during checkout.

As a Seller, GunBroker.com will start calculating the tax due on each of your orders. When the buyer completes checkout, you will receive the appropriate tax amount as part of payment for that order. You will then remit that sales tax to GunBroker.com similar to how you pay your monthly fees.

GunBroker.com fees will continue to be charged on the sale price of the item. The collection of state sales tax will not change your GunBroker.com fees.

Curly1 11-29-2020 01:48 PM

Not surprising, Ebay and Amazon started within the past year along with other places I frequent.

The small mom and pop sites don't seem to be doing it yet.

Eugen 12-02-2020 11:41 AM

Yes, more taxes on used items that were already taxed once when the item was initially sold from the factory. That just doesn't seem right. :( Government at all levels love their tax schemes.

Mac Cat 12-02-2020 12:15 PM

and then they tax grandma's social security ?

Well, they have a lot to make up - it's been a bad year for taxing

Roadster 02 12-02-2020 01:47 PM

Social Security was never meant to be taxed, and never to be used as identification, but thank the dems for that. Wait until your town or city comes up with the "Storm Water Fee", you will just love that one. Inventive little devils.

wlyon 12-02-2020 03:43 PM

The first tax on Social Security was started by Pres. Regan. Then Pres Clinton increased it. Bill

George Anderson 12-02-2020 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlyon (Post 335330)
The first tax on Social Security was started by Pres. Regan. Then Pres Clinton increased it. Bill

Presidents don't impose taxes, Congress imposes taxes.

wlyon 12-03-2020 11:49 AM

George
That is true. It still occurs during there administration and approval.

spacecoast 12-03-2020 07:24 PM

As with auction premiums, the effect of the taxes will be to depress sale prices so that the buyer is still only paying what he/she is willing to bear. The seller makes less, Gunbroker makes less on the reduced sales price, and Gunbroker's costs go up having to collect and remit the taxes.

gunbugs 12-03-2020 10:34 PM

Well, as I am in Fairbanks, Alaska, I don't pay any sales tax. It's been voted down citywide and statewide so many times I've lost count. The dirty beggars (politicians) keep trying though. It's all in the word: Politics: Poli is "many", tics are "blood sucking parasites". See? poli-tics.

lugerholsterrepair 12-03-2020 11:34 PM

I don't mind graft & corruption. I just need to figure out a way to get in on it!

There are taxes and there are taxes..State & local entities impose a LOT of em!

Diver6106 12-05-2020 08:18 PM

To "get in on it" L. Ron Hubbard found the only solution... Create your OWN RELIGION. THAT is tax free. I don't mind religious freedom, but they should pay their fair share like the rest of us monkeys.

DonVoigt 12-06-2020 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver6106 (Post 335354)
To "get in on it" L. Ron Hubbard found the only solution... Create your OWN RELIGION. THAT is tax free. I don't mind religious freedom, but they should pay their fair share like the rest of us monkeys.

But "they" still have to pay sales tax! :crying:

Heinz 12-06-2020 11:13 AM

Don, In many states they are even exempt from sales tax. Sales tax applies to consumer purchases in most states. Wholesale buyers do not pay the sales tax, and most religious organizations also fall under this exemption. That is why many like the concept of a "value-added tax"

Please do not think I support the swamp or any of its dwellers

The government governs best which governs least.

jamese 12-16-2020 07:35 AM

wonder if their going to collect "gun tax" on each unit sold up front when ever that starts ??

jamese 12-16-2020 07:42 AM

So you think there is going to be a "Flood" of guns on the market whenever the new administration imposes a gun tax ....or will there be 6 or 7 million more criminals who will refuse to register and pay ???

This tax talk just got me thinking thats all

spacecoast 12-16-2020 08:46 AM

When taxes become too onerous, those wishing to buy/sell guns and accessories will get very creative in their means of making transactions.

When the courts and justice system ignore the letter and spirit of the law, per the recent election, and abuse the Constitution in the context of the "damnpanic", all it does is encourage ordinary otherwise law-abiding people to do the same.