LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic & Other Firearms (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Lest we forget (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40717)

rpbcps 11-10-2020 05:07 PM

Lest we forget

2 Attachment(s)
On the 11th day of November, let us reflect.

We know that Freedom is not Free, but it is provided by Brave Men and Women who are willing to put themselves in harm's way and we thank them all, from the bottom of our hearts, for their service.

tomaustin 11-10-2020 05:41 PM

There won't be any open celebration and remembrance gatherings in my area this year.......

Put out your flags.

lugerholsterrepair 11-10-2020 05:49 PM

My flag is proudly flying, upside down.

tharpo 11-10-2020 07:40 PM

This song gets to me every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIHi...eature=related

spangy 11-10-2020 08:22 PM

I was born in 1951 not long after WWII.
In 1955 you could buy a brand new Corvette Stingray for $2,800.
A top of the line RCA black & white TV for $250.

I remember watching war documentaries on that TV ... there were so many shown as we recovered from a most traumatic period in our history.

I especially remember seeing old baba's with their feet wrapped in rags for shoes treading through the bombed out muddy rubble of the remainder of their city streets.

REMEMBER REMEMBER REMEMBER

Remember that there are no winners in war.

Both sides lost precious loved ones ... both had families never to unite again.

LEST WE FORGET

The other day I stumbled on a stark video reminder of this fact ... be patient as youtube cycles through the error codes please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8boavYYXjA

rpbcps 11-11-2020 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Flying Proudly

rpbcps 11-11-2020 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by spangy (Post 334964)
I was born in 1951 not long after WWII.
In 1955 you could buy a brand new Corvette Stingray for $2,800.
A top of the line RCA black & white TV for $250.

I remember watching war documentaries on that TV ... there were so many shown as we recovered from a most traumatic period in our history.

I especially remember seeing old baba's with their feet wrapped in yards of sheeting as shoes trodding through the bombed out muddy rubble of the remainder of their city streets.

REMEMBER REMEMBER REMEMBER

Remember that there are no winners in war.

Both sides lost innocent loved ones ... both had families never to unite again.

LEST WE FORGET

The other day I stumbled on a stark video reminder of this fact ... be patient as youtube cycles through the error codes please
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8boavYYXjA

agreed..

MikeP 11-11-2020 12:18 PM

Veteran's Day

3 Attachment(s)
My dad, 506th PIR. 1945
Me, 5th SFG. 1968.
Grandfathers served inWW1 and Uncles in WW2.
A Great-great Grandfather died at Andersonville and others served.
Something I always considered a basic rite of passage.

Ron Wood 11-11-2020 01:41 PM

I was a soldier, I am a soldier, I will always be a soldier. There are a lot of us geezers around that feel that way.
Ron

Diver6106 11-15-2020 02:16 PM

Well, I was a sailor and a soldier... which I was proud of, and a civilian Intelligence Officer. But now just a retired civil servant of several generations of vets. And have passed the torch to my nephew who is going through the USN's Chief School. But I would NEVER fly the flag upside down in this GREAT COUNTRY. It was great when our forefathers fought in world wars and has been great ever since... Political parties do not make our country great - PEOPLE DO. No ONE can make America great again - it has ALWAYS been great with VALOR intact.

Ron Wood 11-15-2020 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diver6106 (Post 335049)
...Political parties do not make our country great - PEOPLE DO. No ONE can make America great again - it has ALWAYS been great with VALOR intact.

Amen Brother. Thank you for putting that out there in terms that no one should misunderstand.
Ron

lugerholsterrepair 11-15-2020 03:30 PM

EVERY system in this country is broken. 25 trillion in debt. Leadership has failed us. Our election system is a joke. We are dying slowly but surely. If that is NOT DISTRESS what is? The next 4 years is going to be ugly. If you fail to see the danger we now face...You might fail to see why I fly my flag as a distress signal.

Ron Wood 11-15-2020 04:06 PM

If every system is broken, it is still a damn sight better than anyplace else as far as I am concerned. I prefer to remain optimistic and do what I can to keep it going. Surrender...hell no.
Ron

lugerholsterrepair 11-15-2020 04:29 PM

The Titanic passengers said, this is still a damn sight better than anyplace else as far as I am concerned. I prefer to remain optimistic and do what I can to keep it going all the while not fully recognizing the gravity of the problem until they WERE someplace else.

Insert any number of replacements like Venezuela, Africa, Cuba etc. America is NOT immune from what ails the rest of the World just because we bandy about words like "great country, forefathers,people,or valor." I am certain Venezuela was full of patriots saying the same thing before the fall. But fall it did.

spangy 11-15-2020 06:04 PM

Never underestimate the power of the people who in their darkest hours will be guided by their knowledge of their past and their desire for their future.

We say 'lest we forget' for a reason ... we must never forget who we are and how we got here as a people ... in that way we will always defeat evils that threaten our way of life, ALWAYS.

The individual may die but the Gestalt is greater than its parts.

Ron Wood 11-16-2020 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 335055)
The Titanic passengers said, this is still a damn sight better than anyplace else as far as I am concerned. I prefer to remain optimistic and do what I can to keep it going all the while not fully recognizing the gravity of the problem until they WERE someplace else.

Insert any number of replacements like Venezuela, Africa, Cuba etc. America is NOT immune from what ails the rest of the World just because we bandy about words like "great country, forefathers,people,or valor." I am certain Venezuela was full of patriots saying the same thing before the fall. But fall it did.

I am a little saddened that you do not share my optimism that we are resilient enough as a country to weather the turmoil that 2020 has brought upon us, but that in no way diminishes my fondness for you and Ellie. You are two of my favorite people and I wish you only the best for whatever lies ahead.

lugerholsterrepair 11-16-2020 11:01 PM

Ron, I am sorry I don't too. I wish I could. I have seen what has happened to Europe, England and others who allowed their culture to be watered down then polluted. In the next four years we are going to allow the enemy to breach our gates. The America you and I grew up with will be gone. Actually it already is. There are at least a dozen cities/states I visited or lived in that today I wouldn't set foot in. Think it's bad now? The insanity is just starting. Hundreds of thousands of alien's thrown in and we are France. Daily knifings, terror attacks and the horrors will make America unsalvegeable. There will be no turning back just as you cannot un cook a hamburger.

I say we are in dire distress...and until proven wrong I am displaying my distress signal.

cirelaw 11-16-2020 11:18 PM

For Dad

2 Attachment(s)
Who served in the pacific on the USN Thorn 1943

frankenlugerguy 11-17-2020 05:00 PM

cirelaw,
That's wonderful. I knew many a "Mustang", who were some of the best officers in the Navy. My cover ("hat" to civilians) is off to your dad. If he's still living, tell him an old Crusader jock said, "Thanks"!

Sieger 11-18-2020 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 335055)

Jerry,

I agree with both your statement and historical outlook!

We currently are up s---t's creek and have one major party's written platform to blame for it.

Respectfully,

Sieger