LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Trigger job? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40292)

javaduke 03-29-2020 10:07 AM

Trigger job?

Folks, I'm new here, I recently bought a 1913 DMW Luger, the numbers are not matching and it was in a relatively bad shape, so I decided to practice my restoration skills on it and use it as a shooter. I detail stripped it, removed the old paint (yes, somebody sprayed black paint all over it), cleaned it up and rebelled, now it looks pretty good now but the trigger pull is awful. It is very gritty and long. So I'm wondering what is the best way to improve it? Doesn't have to be light, but I'd like it to be smoother. What is the proper way to address this?

Major Tom 03-29-2020 10:24 AM

I know the trigger system in a luger is complicated. There should be some insight here in this website. Take a look around.

Lugerdoc 03-29-2020 01:24 PM

J Duke, For a shorter trigger pull, you will have to reduce the overlap of the striker and sear. Also flattening out the flat sear spring will lighten the force required. Unfortunately, taking either of these steps too far may lead to the pistol wanting to go full auto. TH

rhuff 03-29-2020 04:10 PM

Your Luger may well have the wrong trigger return spring installed(too strong). Lugers do not have great, target trigger pulls, as many were war products. They can be improved, but go carefully for they can go full auto.

DonVoigt 03-30-2020 09:04 AM

I'd clean it well and lube; then leave it alone.

There is not much upside to improving the trigger, and lots of "down" side. JMHO.

Ray 03-30-2020 03:40 PM

improving luger trigger

3 Attachment(s)
here is an article that I saw in a shooting magazine years ago
Ray in Oregon

*** Mod Addition *** High Resolution PDF is in post 18 Below ***

mrerick 03-30-2020 10:30 PM

*** See Below for PDF copy in High Resolution *** And accept the caveat that the author didn't have the correct reverse angle information Don discusses below.

- - - - - -

In spite of the good information in the article, Luger trigger adjustment is as much an art as anything else, and that art is likely based on some experience.

As Don says, we hear much more often about problems caused than improvement achieved.

Most everything in the complete linkage affects other parts, some of which are covered during operation.

DonVoigt 03-31-2020 01:04 AM

Great write up, BUT- the reverse angles that give the luger a heavy trigger pull are necessary for the sear and striker to firmly and safely engage- messing with the angles and amount of engagement is asking for :
a- failure to ****Kyock
b- doubling
c- full auto fire
d- unexpected discharge without touching the trigger!

K.Wilhelm 03-31-2020 10:09 AM

Amen to what's been said. I've had two Lugers fire upon toggle closure (finger not on trigger)- not a fun experience! I didn't do anything to these triggers, but I suspect the previous owner(s) did.

Sergio Natali 03-31-2020 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 330610)
I'd clean it well and lube; then leave it alone.

There is not much upside to improving the trigger, and lots of "down" side. JMHO.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 330617)
Great write up, BUT- the reverse angles that give the luger a heavy trigger pull are necessary for the sear and striker to firmly and safely engage- messing with the angles and amount of engagement is asking for :
a- failure to ****Kyock
b- doubling
c- full auto fire

I agree completely with Don, leave it as it is.

Olle 03-31-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 330617)
a- failure to ****Kyock
b- doubling
c- full auto fire

This was my immediate observation as well. Interestingly, the author states that he has observed this "flaw" in every Luger he has examined, and he still doesn't understand that it's made like that on purpose. BTW: The same "flaw" can be found in mil spec AR-15 triggers, and people are still trying to "correct it" with the same results as you mention.

mrerick 03-31-2020 11:03 AM

What leads to the need for the negative sear engagement?

How much is it (angle?)

Is this because of the potential for "bounce" of the slide when it comes back into battery after firing a shot? Or is it needed to draw the sear and firing pin together when it comes into battery?

Why is the single stage AR-15 designed with this engagement?

I think a description of the thinking behind the negative sear engagement would make a good FAQ entry... Marc

Ray, if you can get higher resolution scans of the article to me, I'll make it into a PDF file.

Marc

Kiwi 03-31-2020 12:26 PM

My first 1911 had a trigger pull that felt like dragging a knife blade over rough concrete. The 1911 sear is case hardened maybe 1/1000 inch thick is hard. But examination under magnification showed manufacturing burrs, removing them (fine Arkansas stone) made a nice trigger.

I would limit any trigger work to similar smoothing. Changing angles is extremely risky, and best done with easily replaceable parts (Oops, start again), not Luger fitted and numbered parts.

Ron Wood 03-31-2020 12:42 PM

Marc,
I have that trigger tune article in .jpg format that is pretty legible and I can save the pages in .png format if that would be better. Either format can be expanded.
Ron

HerrKaiser 03-31-2020 01:27 PM

Of my four, only my refinished LP-08 has a clearly noticeable trigger "wall" before the break. The others are a bit mushy with takeup and are difficult to get a grasp on where the sear will "break". I do not worry about it too much since they do not malfunction, and it isn't like I am using them for anything other than as range toys or safe queens.

DonVoigt 03-31-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrerick (Post 330622)
What leads to the need for the negative sear engagement? Think about it, if there is no negative angle there is nothing to prevent the sear and striker from slipping off each other- due to creep under spring tension or movement/vibration of the parts or entire pistol.

How much is it (angle?) I believe it is too small /short to measure accurately- it may be in the drawings.

Is this because of the potential for "bounce" of the slide when it comes back into battery after firing a shot? Or is it needed to draw the sear and firing pin together when it comes into battery?
The sear/striker are engaged before the slide finally closes, but yes -the angle is needed to assure that the two surfaces stay engaged.

Why is the single stage AR-15 designed with this engagement?
The AR sear/hammer are an entirely different arrangement; but in general all sear engagement uses a "correct" angle or geometry to assure engagement until moved by the trigger/trigger bar.

I think a description of the thinking behind the negative sear engagement would make a good FAQ entry... Marc

Ray, if you can get higher resolution scans of the article to me, I'll make it into a PDF file.

Marc

See comments above.

Kiwi 04-01-2020 10:19 AM

Out of curiosity I examined the firing pins of my 2 last night.
Under an 8x Loupe both had crud on the surface engaged by the sear.
Crud being microscopic bits of either metal or powder stuck to the surface with oil.
Actually looked more like fine metal filings (not me) than powder

A toothbrush and cleaning patch.
Unfortunately I am in a lockdown State and cannot field test the result at this time

mrerick 04-01-2020 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ron was good enough to provide high resolution scans of the article. I've attached it here.

Marc

4 Scale 04-01-2020 04:34 PM

What I like about that article is that several times the author admonishes the reader to fully understand the firing mechanism before attempting any improvements. If that advice is followed and the pistol's operation observed carefully it should be possible to determine what might be causing the poor trigger performance.

I would suggest complete disassembly (including removal of the sear bar and transfer lever), inspect (preferably with magnification), clean lubricate then reassemble and test before attempting any physical adjustments. The only time I fiddle with trigger components is to correct malfunction. To me, getting good accuracy without resorting to physical modification is part of the fun and challenge of firing older firearms.

I when I find myself missing nice triggers I shoot modern pistols.

DonVoigt 04-01-2020 06:15 PM

Luger triggers are no worse than an out of the box Glock, or one of the other DAO pistols, IMO.
Many are somewhat better!