LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   1940 S/42 questions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=37564)

homefries04 08-23-2017 03:09 PM

1940 S/42 questions

Hello there. I just purchased my first Luger and have some questions. I am curious about the value of the firearm, but also about the mismatched parts. I was told by the previous owner that this was a battlefield capture. Were captures often mismatched parts or does that indicate the story is incorrect. There is pitting on the barrel and the magazine catch spring is broken. Thank you so much for your help and time, I'm glad to finally be joining the forum.

Kevin

homefries04 08-23-2017 03:15 PM

Pictures

3 Attachment(s)
Attached photos.

mrerick 08-23-2017 03:40 PM

Hello Kevin, and welcome to the forum.

You can learn quite a bit from the FAQ document published at this site. I suggest you download it.

I'm sorry to have the following for you, but it is what it is...

In good condition a mixed parts shooter would be worth $750 or so. This one looks like it either has had the finish removed, or has been plated and badly pitted and worn.

Unfortunately it has no collector value, and if it functions properly it would be considered an low condition shooter because of finish. That said, it might be worth $400 if it functions well. If it does not function properly, I doubt you'd get that for parts since so few would be usable.

I doubt it would be worth restoring this pistol or even refinishing it. You'd probably never be able to get back the expense.

A number of things could happen on the battlefield. Parts could be swapped, but generally an armory level or unit level armorer would properly mark the pistol, and also be using factory supplied spare parts where possible. The much more plausible explanation is that someone assembled it later. It was much more common to capture all matching guns in well maintained condition, but anything is possible.

Marc

homefries04 08-23-2017 04:08 PM

I appreciate it it Marc. I've been reading the "stickies" and informational packets on here like a madman, learning as much as I can in a short period of time. What a resource this site is.

That was my feeling towards the gun and parts after some research and discussions. I'm good on the current value so no hit there. I bought it off of an older friend and will be keeping it in my family forever. That being said, I have had thoughts of restoring it to some degree but hate to have more $$$ in something that it will ever be worth, even if I plan on keeping it, just out of principal.

Kevin

mrerick 08-23-2017 04:23 PM

Repair the magazine catch spring if that is the problem (check first with Tom "LugerDoc" to see if he has the part available). Have it checked over and see how well it cycles.

Mauser made very high quality Lugers. If it hasn't been mechanically messed with, it should make a good shooter - especially if the bore is in good shape.

rhuff 08-23-2017 04:46 PM

As Marc stated, you have a mixmaster with poor/no finish, so it can only be a shooter status Luger. Still yet, you can still enjoy it, and learn from/about it. If you are "handy" and motivated, perhaps later on you might want to do a complete cold blue job yourself just for metal protection and to help with the looks. That approach would be very inexpensive, and would not change the value status much, if at all. Just a thought.

homefries04 08-23-2017 04:51 PM

After first looking at the gun before acquiring it, I assumed the value was the same as you. I figured it will never have "historic book value" and is a mixed part shooter grade gun in this condition or if it is restored at all. If it shoots, in pretty much any condition at this point, the value should probably be about the same I figured.

Edward Tinker 08-23-2017 05:31 PM

its a luger and its yours :)

Lugerdoc 08-24-2017 10:42 AM

hf04, The only way one might consider this a "battle field pick up" is if it were buried there and allowed to rust for years. I do have the parts in stock to make it shootable, or can do any necessary functional repairs needed, except refinishing. TH

Eugen 08-24-2017 01:10 PM

OP, congrats on your first Luger. You have received some great advice above. Now go out there and shoot that puppy without any fear of damaging an investment quality Luger. You've got a Luger that you can really enjoy to the fullest and that is one that you can shoot. :)

homefries04 08-24-2017 08:32 PM

I'm assuming the battlefield pickup story must have gotten switched. The previous owner has a second Luger in 95% bluing with a holster and two mags. I'm sure that was the one that was carried off the field.
I appreciate all of the help gentlemen. The winter goal is to refinish the metalwork myself and attempt to bring it back to its 1940s look, and enjoy using it.

rhuff 08-25-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homefries04 (Post 306970)
The winter goal is to refinish the metalwork myself and attempt to bring it back to its 1940s look, and enjoy using it.

That sounds like a good plan. Take your time, and enjoy the ride. Many of us will, of course, want to see your "new" Luger when completed.