LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Proof Marks On Commercial DWM (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36836)

Mike K. 03-18-2017 11:13 AM

Proof Marks On Commercial DWM

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings,

Can one of the members please identify for me these proof marks on an early DWM? One number appears to be 30 and the other just a number 3.

Thanks in advance.

DonVoigt 03-18-2017 12:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
These have been shown and discussed before, they appear on East German , Erma reworks.
Though not certain, I believe they are workers marks for Erma in the '60s- JMHO.

Similar markings are on my Bulgarian 1908 rework that is pretty certainly Erma work from surplus Bulgarians sold in the post war period.

Mike K. 03-18-2017 08:44 PM

Don,

Very interesting, thanks for the response and information. Do you happen to know any of the links to those discussions?

Also, was any of the metal reworked on your example? Mine had some edges smoothed, as well as a serial number added. You can actually see some of the metal rework in the image I posted.

Thanks!

DonVoigt 03-18-2017 10:29 PM

Mike,
Erma repaired and re-finished the guns they did. This one had a Mauser toggle as you can see; though it now has an original Bulgarian toggle.

There was one thread not long ago, but I cannot remember if it was here or the other forum.
I think I asked the same question on mine when I first posted it, there was not much to read, and not many ideas, certainly no firm data.

maybe this time someone will see it!

spacecoast 03-19-2017 07:39 AM

I have pictures of several similarly-marked examples from reworked 1908 Bulgarian frames, as Don noted.

I would really like to know more about your gun - obviously not a 1908 Bulgarian from the lanyard staple. Can you post some additional pictures?

spacecoast 03-23-2017 01:49 PM

Interesting that Mike K. has 33 posts in 10 years on the forum, and does not follow up to a request for more info.

Mike K. 03-23-2017 01:53 PM

Death in the family. I will respond when I get a moment to post pictures. Perhaps next time you could just send a PM or email to follow up.
Thanks

John Sabato 03-24-2017 09:23 AM

Patience is a virtue. Not everybody gets the chance to check the forum everyday...

Mike, my condolences on your loss.

Mike K. 03-26-2017 11:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi John,

First, thank you for your thoughtfulness.

I have attached additional images. This is a recent shooter purchase at a gun show from a vendor who was not sure about the history. I simply believe it is a mismatch. The upper receiver was force serial numbered to the lower. Only the trigger, safety bar, safety lever, and lower receiver match in number. The take down lever and side-plate are mismatched. The toggle, toggle link, and breech-block match. The firing pin is unnumbered. And, the hold open lever is unnumbered as well. Looks like both the upper and lower frame had metal reworking. I paid commensurate to the condition, simply for a shooter. Thanks to those forum members with supportive comments and opinions.

Mike K. 03-26-2017 11:08 PM

3 Attachment(s)
3 additional images

spacecoast 03-27-2017 10:09 AM

Thanks for posting the pictures, and sorry about my impatience. I was hoping there was something to link this to Erma's processing of Bulgarian contract pistols, but I don't see anything. The marks on the replacement barrel do look familiar.

Lugerdoc 03-27-2017 10:15 AM

The circled 9 under the barrel is either a Portugese or Austrian inspector's marking, depending on which reference book you believe. TH

sheepherder 03-27-2017 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonVoigt (Post 300417)
Similar markings are on my Bulgarian 1908 rework that is pretty certainly Erma work from surplus Bulgarians sold in the post war period.

Don, this is the first frame ear I have seen pictures of that shows definitive [& rough!] surface grind marks. My own Luger ears are all lacking any tool marks, whether mill, grinder, or polish. I have to wonder what the Erma people thought needed additional grinding...Unusual to see this pattern of grind marks, it indicates some kind of horizontal grind fixture, rather than a vertical rotary grinder... :confused: :)

http://forum.lugerforum.com/attachme...1&d=1489856608

DonVoigt 03-27-2017 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sheepherder (Post 300784)
Don, this is the first frame ear I have seen pictures of that shows definitive [& rough!] surface grind marks. My own Luger ears are all lacking any tool marks, whether mill, grinder, or polish. I have to wonder what the Erma people thought needed additional grinding...Unusual to see this pattern of grind marks, it indicates some kind of horizontal grind fixture, rather than a vertical rotary grinder... :confused: :)

http://forum.lugerforum.com/attachme...1&d=1489856608

Good question, but I have no idea.
Maybe a dent that needed cleaning up?
Another one of those curious "un-knowables".:confused:

Lugerdoc 03-28-2017 09:49 AM

I've alway been told that the marking shown above were for testing hardness. TH

Mike K. 03-28-2017 08:43 PM

Thanks again for your great opinions Gents. In the end, I just think this example I own is quite simply a parts gun, great for shooting, with interesting marks on the ear and barrel.