LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   fxo mag (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36740)

BAT340 02-25-2017 11:54 PM

fxo mag

Okay guy's, bought a very nice fxo 37 blue, with aluminum base magazine yesterday at the 'Show Of Shows' here in Louisville. Stamped '4291' on the bottom, anyone possessing that particular P08? Might let it go.

RShaw 02-26-2017 01:03 AM

Sorry.... but....What is an "fxo 37 blue" ?

Edward Tinker 02-26-2017 09:27 AM

It is a blued - extruded mag that was acceptance / proofed with FXO as manufacturer and eagle 37

He is seeing if anyone needs one, I suggest this be put in the want to sell area

DonVoigt 02-26-2017 11:24 AM

Let's not perpetuate the myth that the fxo mags are "extruded".
That has been thoroughly examined and found not to be the case- even though they look like it!

Haenel used the folding and then welding method and added a step to mill the contour that makes the mag look extruded.

There is a thread here or on the other forum on this and there is a series of step wise pictures either in the Mauser book or Sturgess' book.

IIRC, the feed lips are formed before the body is folded and welded and finish milled.

RShaw 02-26-2017 12:17 PM

Ahhh Thank you ... learned something new today:)
Any particular reason for the letters "fxo?"

Nomadr 02-26-2017 12:43 PM

Fxo is the code for a Mauser mag sub-contracter.

Bob

BAT340 02-26-2017 06:47 PM

No, I don't want to sell, but I would to the person owning "4291", which is a long shot. Wasn't there a page on this forum that matched up magazines with their parent Luger?

DonVoigt 02-26-2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAT340 (Post 299372)
No, I don't want to sell, but I would to the person owning "4291", which is a long shot. Wasn't there a page on this forum that matched up magazines with their parent Luger?

There is a thread for "matching"; but it is pretty much an exercise in futility.

Right combination of numbers does not = correct magazine.:cool:

mrerick 02-27-2017 05:21 AM

Page 54 of the FAQs also discusses fabrication of the Haenel Schmeisser manufactured "fxo" magazines.

This construction technique produces a precision magazine that I think is more reliable and resilient than most sheet steel folded and crimped magazines.

I have some of the post war 2/1001 marked Ernst Thalman (the post-war company that absorbed Haenel in Suhl) DDR variant of these magazines for my shooters.

Has anyone seen this construction in any magazines made for any other firearm? I wonder why the design hasn't continued to be manufactured?

ithacaartist 02-27-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrerick (Post 299405)

Has anyone seen this construction in any magazines made for any other firearm? I wonder why the design hasn't continued to be manufactured?

Marc, mags for the Erma toggle pistols are similar welded, heavy-wall construction-- but no particular machining on the outside. I've never experienced a weak spring in any of them, and they are much more dependable than the flimsy versions made aftermarket by Triple K and others which, despite their guarantee, do not always fit and feed.