LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Early Lugers (1900-1906) (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   strange P08 (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36039)

Jean-Pierre 08-16-2016 01:50 PM

strange P08

Hi,
Sorry if I do wrong things but I'm very new here.

I want to get an advice about a strange Luger P08 for sale in Belgium.
It seems it is an early DWM gun without nut on the grip. Modified by adding slide lock when empty magazine. Markings on the left side. No indication of the production year.
But what is strange, it is the "door" above the trigger. I never seen such one because the door is open. You v-can see the "trigger pin"

Does anyone have seen this? may be a test gun? or special little manufacturing?

Please, let me know the way to insert pictures from my private pictures stored on my pc ! this means not from any URL.

Best regards :bigbye:[IMG]c:/ luger 2[/IMG]

John Sabato 08-16-2016 02:21 PM

There is a tutorial in the New Collectors forum to teach you how to post photographs.

http://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=23172

Vlim 08-17-2016 04:53 AM

Sounds like a first issue P08 with magazine and sear safety modifications with a missing sear safety, exposing the cutout on top of the side plate.

Military P08 that was transferred to the police

Eugen 08-17-2016 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlim (Post 292581)
Sounds like a first issue P08 with magazine and sear safety modifications with a missing sear safety, exposing the cutout on top of the side plate.

Military P08 that was transferred to the police

Wow, I am impressed ...and you did it blind folded, too. :thumbup:

The folks with extensive Luger knowledge on this forum never ceases to amaze me. :)

Jean-Pierre 08-18-2016 11:15 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thank you Vlim for this answer but could you explain me what's the sear safety? I don't understand why the opening in the cover plate. Some people said me that this modification has been made by a stupid do-it-yourself man. But it sounds to me that it is stupid because I'm quite sure the plate has been made so, it is not a modification made after the gun left the Armory.

ADDED FOR HIM

This gun is supposed to be an early made DWM gun, so early that there is no manufacturing year.
All markings are on the left side. On the handle, the ring around the trigger is ''Alter Art" this means old style.
Cover plate is opened.
No nut to transform it into a carbine and the handle has been modified to add the slide safety keeping the slide open when after the last shot.
Hoping this will help you.

Edward Tinker 08-18-2016 11:56 AM

pictures and more description ABOVE

sheepherder 08-18-2016 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No obvious police modifications but 'window' in sideplate is strange... :confused:

alanint 08-18-2016 01:38 PM

Could you please show the unit marking that is on the grip strap with a close up photo? This might tells us something.

I have never seen this type of opening in a sideplate before. The sideplate itself has very sharp angles and no slope to the sides of the raised area, which leads me to believe it is shop, not factory made. The reason for the "view port" still escapes me.

Jean-Pierre 08-18-2016 02:17 PM

I'm unable to dd new pictures now, the owner is into Holiday in Italy. More, it is written in the advertisement that the markings on the grip are un readable, but I've asked more detailed pictures ... Wait and see !!!!

I thank you all for your help and comments.

:bigbye::D

John Sabato 08-18-2016 02:19 PM

The "window in the sideplate is an accident that is probably the result of an overzealous home gunsmith trying to "improve" the surface of the "bump" which provides a cover for the moving L-shaped trigger lever. Once you make the "hole" there is no way to put the metal back gracefully. A real injustice to an otherwise overall nice condition pistol.

Ron Wood 08-18-2016 02:50 PM

First of all, I want to say that is some beautiful photography!

I agree with John S. that the odd side plate is the result of the refinishing of the entire gun. The process of refinishing was pretty well done as most of the contours of the piece have been preserved and not rounded off by over buffing. Also, the original markings have been preserved, even the Erfurt rework stamp for the hold open modification and the First Issue (sagely identified by Vlim :)) proofs/acceptance on the left side of the receiver.

The side plate is unnumbered. It is possible that it was so severely pitted that the refinisher removed the number but judging from the contours I suspect that it is a heavily reworked unnumbered replacement. In addition of the thinning of the “bump” to the extent that the transfer bar is exposed, the whole thickness of the side plate is considerably thinner than stock…so much so that the upper left corner is square lacking the radius of a standard 1908 plate and the rear of the plate is almost flush with the frame so that the entire plate looks like it came from a M1900.

An interesting piece.
Ron

Vlim 08-19-2016 08:19 AM

I would remove this butchered side plate and replace it with something more suitable.

Since it is first issue, the numbering should be at the bottom of the side plate, if any. If there is no number present, I'd look for a suitable commercial style side plate as a replacement. The gun would certainly look better and be much safer.

Kri 1942 08-20-2016 02:07 AM

Hello Jean-Pierre,

As I told you on the French forum, TCAR, the side plate is not original, which confirms our American friends...

Joël

Bonjour Jean-Pierre,

Comme je vous l'avais dit sur le forum français, TCAR, la plaque latérale n'est pas d'origine, ce que confirme nos amis américains...

Joël