LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Early Lugers (1900-1906) (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   1906 American Eagle Luger 9mm (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35912)

johnb55 07-09-2016 05:44 PM

1906 American Eagle Luger 9mm

I was at a gun show today and came across a guy selling a very nice American Eagle. I was seriously thinking of buying it. Pistol looked mint. I went out to my car which I had a book on Lugers and did a little research. I had the owner take grips of and field strip gun. I found grips were not numbered. Owner had no answer. The mag I though at first the bottom looked plastic. I was told that it was wood and just looked plastic because it was so well finished. I saw no lettering on bottom of mag. Again I questioned owner and he had no answer. Straw parts of gun were very nice. I also noticed no blueing in back of safety when in on position. My question is should grips be numbered? What is correct mag for gun? Gun price was north of $3000. Any feeling on what gun is worth?

alanint 07-09-2016 07:52 PM

Without detailed photos, we would all be just guessing. An original finish requires detailed photos to determine, as does all the small details on the pistol.

cirelaw 07-09-2016 08:23 PM

Its like going on a blind date!!

Zorba 07-09-2016 10:21 PM

Met my wife on a blind date!

cirelaw 07-09-2016 10:52 PM

Obviously, It was a great one! With mine I should have been blind! With me second I must have been blind! Debby my third is a saint charm and has saved my butt many many times over. Including saving my life in Costa Rica thirteen years ago!!~~Eric.....

ithacaartist 07-09-2016 11:01 PM

Here is another...! https://www.proxibid.com/aspr/C-1906...ne%3D#topoflot

4 Scale 07-09-2016 11:40 PM

For $3,000 a 1906 American Eagle should be pristine and I agree that photos are necessary. You might check the Simpson Ltd. site and look at the photos there, they tend to be pretty accurate in describing finishes.

From your questions and post count I'm guessing you are new to the Luger universe (welcome). I personally feel newbies should spend not more than $1,500 on their first Luger, to minimize chance of a big mistake. There are matching, collectible 1906 AEs on Gunbroker from time to time in the $1,200 to $1,800 range; I recently was next-to-last bidder on a collectible 1906 AE that went for $1,650 and last year got one for $1,750 that I'm delighted with. It takes looking and patience but they are out there. Good luck to you.

Edward Tinker 07-09-2016 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4 Scale (Post 291225)
.... I personally feel newbies should spend not more than $1,500 on their first Luger, to minimize chance of a big mistake. There are matching, collectible 1906 AEs on Gunbroker from time to time in the $1,200 to $1,800 range; I recently was next-to-last bidder on a collectible 1906 AE that went for $1,650 and last year got one for $1,750 that I'm delighted with. It takes looking and patience but they are out there. Good luck to you.

well written - this is very true :cheers:

Sergio Natali 07-10-2016 02:34 AM

John

Without any seial number and without some pictures is a bit like getting a haircut over the phone by a blind person, jokes apart I think you should post some close up pictures, after that maybe we can give you an idea of its originality and rough value.

CJS57 07-10-2016 06:51 AM

To answer your questions. The grips are correctly un-numbered. The bare metal area under the safety lever is correct. The mag bottom should be plain walnut wood or it also could say Cal. 9mm. Either is correct. It was a good buy if original. A 9mm goes much higher than a common .30 cal. A true mint or even near minty original gun would go well north of 5k at a good major auction house.

dz 07-10-2016 07:58 AM

I agree with cjs57. And comic comments are not appropriate.

johnb55 07-10-2016 08:34 AM

I agree that one should start with collecting more common lugers. First luger that I purchased was a Mauser P 08 chamber date 1939, military markings. I passed on this gun due to my lack of knowledge. It is not a good day when you posts pics of your new luger and members find that your gun has been restored. I was reading a post on this board about a 1906 AE that was too nice. The final outcome of members was a very good restoration. I notice people selling Lugers don't give out a lot of info on their guns. Has anyone ever purchased a gun where sellers puts on receipt gun has original finish?

DonVoigt 07-10-2016 11:28 AM

Some dealers and individual sellers will "guarantee" their descriptions; but recognize that if they do they are already convinced it is "good".

Proving or convincing them it is not correct would be a significant undertaking.

Better to get a 10 day inspection and vet it after receipt. if it is valuable enough it is worth sending to an expert, or taking good pictures and posting here.

Return it during the inspection period if you are not satisfied. JMHO.

cirelaw 07-10-2016 11:38 AM

Amen!!!

John Sabato 07-10-2016 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dz (Post 291235)
I agree with cjs57. And comic comments are not appropriate.

I'm sorry but I can't disagree more. This is not a "for sale" listing and the whole thread consists of "comments". Unless the humor is in poor taste I see absolutely no reason why humor should be prohibited for any posting. I encourage humor from all participants as long as it is not inflammatory or destructive in nature, or off-color (never appropriate on this forum).

There are enough disappointments and disagreeable things to make people frown in this world. Humor is our only defense. So take the humor with a smirk and enjoy it.