LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   magazine ID (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35558)

Caferacer 04-09-2016 01:02 PM

magazine ID

I am trying to learn if the magazine that came with my P08 is correct
It is a G date P08 with second variation markings as seen in the sticky "six variations of G date" 63 & 92
the magazine is aluminum base and appears to be nickle plated, it has the 63 stamp with + above it, and the prefix letter above that and finally the serial number on top, everything matches except the number 4 in the serial number, on the magazine it appears closed top' while on the pistol it has a small gap,
does this indicate the mag was numbered to the gun later in its life?

I tried to get pics but no luck, camera can not focus that small

Edward Tinker 04-09-2016 02:00 PM

try taking a picture, hi resolution then cropping down to the detail

sounds okay, but hard to tell by description only

ed

Caferacer 04-09-2016 03:50 PM

I have tried taking close up pics of the detail to no avail,
My main question is if the number font should match exactly or not,
Were the magazines numbered at the same time as the pistol using the same stamps?
Or was it done later using similar but not exact stamps?
Also from what I have read, the + stamp signifies it as being the second mag ?

alanint 04-10-2016 12:40 PM

The norm is that that magazines are stamped with the same size and font as the pistol itself. I have seen some magazines that had slightly different style numbers, that are claimed to be correct, but generally, if it were my purchase, I would rather see numbers that are dead matches to those on the pistol.

Caferacer 04-10-2016 01:36 PM

So if the font does not match exactly, would that indicate a period replacement magazine? Or post war replacement?

Caferacer 04-10-2016 02:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Pest pics I could get

G.T. 04-10-2016 02:30 PM

correct

As far as I can tell from the pics, the font is what would be correct for a "K" or "G" date pistol.... Not sure on the questionable 4 but the 3 is a dead giveaway to the date time period... GT...

Norme 04-10-2016 02:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
! agree with G.T., that mag looks 100% correct. Here's a photo of an early G date, the 3 is very distinctive.
Norm

tharpo 04-10-2016 04:09 PM

Looks like a correct "d" suffix G Date magazine.

Caferacer 04-10-2016 04:47 PM

Thanks for the info everyone, yes the #3 font and everything except the #4 font appear to match,
I know almost nothing about P08 magazines, so any and all info no mater how trivial is helpful,
Does the matching correct magazine effect the value of a twice refinished shooter?
Or is it more of an interesting novelty? For more pics see "project GS42" in the repair/refinishing section

kurusu 04-10-2016 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caferacer (Post 286838)
Thanks for the info everyone, yes the #3 font and everything except the #4 font appear to match,
I know almost nothing about P08 magazines, so any and all info no mater how trivial is helpful,
Does the matching correct magazine effect the value of a twice refinished shooter?
Or is it more of an interesting novelty? For more pics see "project GS42" in the repair/refinishing section

Not really. In my humble opinion.

By the way. For shooting, get some new modern made repro magazines and leave the originals alone. They have some value of their own.

Sergio Natali 04-11-2016 03:55 AM

I agree with Mario, a correct mag could improve the value of a collectible, not of a refinished shooter, and for shooting I'd get a new Mec Gar mag.

Caferacer 04-13-2016 06:21 PM

After comparing this one to pics of some correct mags I believe this one has been restamped to match,
The numbers just don't look right to me, however if it functions fine, why recommend replacing it with a new Mec Gar?

DonVoigt 04-13-2016 06:25 PM

If it works well, no reason.

Some recommend not shooting wood base mags, as they can crack or may already be cracked- and the stress of the spring when loaded may make them fail.

You are not likely to damage an aluminum base mag, IMO.

alanint 04-13-2016 06:59 PM

True, but all it takes is dropping it on its base just once to add an unnecessary new dent or gouge, further hurting its originality.

For what Mec-Gars go for, I would not shoot or take the pistol out of the house with anything else.

Caferacer 04-14-2016 12:17 AM

Does this mag have any value to hurt?
I thought it was stated it had no value Even if the numbers matched?

ithacaartist 04-14-2016 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caferacer (Post 287045)
Does this mag have any value to hurt?
I thought it was stated it had no value Even if the numbers matched?

Any original manufacture Luger mag has a bit of value, my sense is that it's in the neighborhood of a hundred bucks, give or take, minimum. Most aspire to have their mags match the period in which they were made, even if the numbers don't match. Having a mag numbered in the same letter suffix block would be a step up. Then you'd try for as close a serial number in that block as possible. Plenty of them had their numbers changed during official re-works, if I am not mistaken, plus the font styles vary significantly. The MecGar mags for shooting will conserve its condition--you'd insert the original in the gun for display or storage. Thirty bucks each, everywhere, and their reputation for function is excellent.

Caferacer 04-14-2016 11:20 AM

So having a period correct mag increases the value of my P08 by $100 or so
And the letter suffix is correct, so would having it re nickel plated be a bad idea?

wlyon 04-14-2016 12:24 PM

The correct mag does not increase the value of your refinished luger. If correct the mag has value by itself. No reason to have it plated . It would ruin any value. I can not tell from the photos if it has been renumbered. If it has this also decreases the mag value. Welcome to the Forum and the wacky world of luger collecting. Bill

DonVoigt 04-14-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caferacer (Post 287069)
So having a period correct mag increases the value of my P08 by $100 or so
And the letter suffix is correct, so would having it re nickel plated be a bad idea?

RE-nickel plating would be a waste of money.

The mag has value if you sell it by itself, it won't really increase the value of that particular luger, so a repro mag that shoots would be fine for keeping, using, or selling.

Save the mag for a future purchase, or selllit and re-coup some $$.

Since I'm not in the habit of dropping my mags-and hope you are not either-, I see no reason not to use that one for shooting. You are not likely to hut its value at all.
JMHO.