LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   question on painted numbers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35286)

stressed 01-25-2016 08:05 PM

question on painted numbers

Why do some lugers have white or gold paint on the numbers? Was this how mauser issued the pistol or is this something collectors do?

DonVoigt 01-25-2016 08:30 PM

Something collectors/sellers do.
Some like it , some don't.

stressed 01-26-2016 02:26 AM

Anyone done red? Using wax or paint?

Sergio Natali 01-26-2016 02:27 AM

Some collectors like it, especialy to evidence letters and numbers, and in fact some guns do look more appealing to potential buyers with white painted numbers.

Zorba 01-26-2016 04:30 AM

They photograph better too. I like it, myself. In fact I like it well enough that I've done it on most of my guns, collectible and otherwise.

sheepherder 01-26-2016 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zormpas (Post 283465)
They photograph better too. I like it, myself. In fact I like it well enough that I've done it on most of my guns, collectible and otherwise.

Zoob, could you post a pic and tell what 'white' you used and your technique??? I've used tire white (for the raised white letters) but it's not quite 'filling', and when I've tried white paint, it smears and when I try to wipe the excess away, it wipes it all away... :(

My Colt Gold Cup has partially filled gold letters, and it looks nice, but the PO didn't do all the lettering and I haven't found anyone who has had success with it... :rolleyes:

Edward Tinker 01-26-2016 10:26 AM

I have tried numerous techniques, because I like it. If you want to 'really' see the stamping, then nothing.

Using white grease pencil, it stays kind of gooey - not my choice
Using actual lacquer pencils you buy, it does dry harder - it is very hard putting it in and slowly wiping away
many times the wipe away will pull the lacquer out, very irritating

A friend of mine uses a paint pen, it has a very fine point, so he can fill in the letter or stamp a little at a time, if you have to you can use acetone to remove any excess. It is harder to get out than lacquer but not permanent

cirelaw 01-26-2016 11:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pure make-up~ Some like it and some goe for natural! Permanent is a 'NOT'!!

stressed 01-26-2016 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 283472)
I have tried numerous techniques, because I like it. If you want to 'really' see the stamping, then nothing.

Using white grease pencil, it stays kind of gooey - not my choice
Using actual lacquer pencils you buy, it does dry harder - it is very hard putting it in and slowly wiping away
many times the wipe away will pull the lacquer out, very irritating

A friend of mine uses a paint pen, it has a very fine point, so he can fill in the letter or stamp a little at a time, if you have to you can use acetone to remove any excess. It is harder to get out than lacquer but not permanent

Try the crayola crayon method. Everyone who tried everything you mention said the crayon method was far best. Wax dried hard and will not melt from shooting.

rhuff 01-26-2016 03:38 PM

I have had good luck with the lacquer sticks that Brownell(I think) sells. They come in red, gold and white. They are inexpensive and not difficult to use once you prep the end for use. I keep lacquer thinner handy and Q Tips. Like anything else, the more you do it, the easier it becomes, UNLESS the stamping is very shallow like the American Eagle on the Mauser Parabellum pistols.......what a PITA!!

cirelaw 01-26-2016 04:07 PM

I like it because it can be removed! I learned from George Anderson as every luger I purchased from him were natural in their original condition! I stopped messing with luger mother nature on my military lugers! Its like a women and make-up. Some need it but most don't!!

ithacaartist 01-26-2016 06:16 PM

I have a small tin of "French dial enamel", which I presume is used for such purposes. I've re-done the "ON" and "OFF" lettering for the buttons on the controls for my lathe, and it seemed to work fine providing the target is prepped/cleaned/de-greased. I have not applied it to any of my pistols, but it should work for them, too.

The smearing of letters filled with paint can be minimized by using a stiffer absorbent wipe, such as a piece of blotter, backed up by a small block to keep it flat. Wait until the paint is just about dry, and add a drop or two of the appropriate solvent to dampen the medium you're using.

Caferacer 03-06-2016 02:22 PM

The cheap paint pens from hobby stores work good
1: paint area you wish to high lite, several coats may be required to fill in the letters or numbers
2: allow the paint to dry a few minutes, this step is important
3: once the paint has dried a bit, gently buff the area around the filled in lettering/numbers until only the paint below the surface filling in the numbers/lettering remains,
The trick is to buff the excess paint from the surface carefully and evenly so as not to dig out the paint filling the depressions you are trying to high lite

Sergio Natali 04-24-2016 10:18 AM

The very few times I did it (on GLOCKs) I used my wife white nail polish and then wiped it off only with non-acetone nail polish remover. It wasn't difficult at all. :thumbup:

spacecoast 04-24-2016 12:26 PM

If you're looking at a gun, you always want to check it out without paint or filler if possible (unless it's original in the GESICHERT stamp). The filler can hide things you would really like to see (like overstamps).

Sergio Natali 04-24-2016 01:07 PM

Of course, we were just talking from the "decoration" point of view.

cirelaw 04-24-2016 01:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Which do you prefer? I vote natural!!!~

Eugen 04-24-2016 04:11 PM

Cirelaw, yes, on that big eagle natural looks better. But on small stampings white looks ok to me. Having said that I am content to leave luger collection (of one) au natural.

cirelaw 04-24-2016 05:05 PM

Thank You Eugene. Remember, Every luger collection begins with one!! You will never forget your first or your last!!! Eric

cirelaw 04-24-2016 05:38 PM

No Question!!

1 Attachment(s)
I agree with Eugene! I use Laquer Stick which is easy to remove! I'm realizing that Georg made some pretty early lugers!!