LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   1920 commerical DWM (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=34299)

campfooey 05-08-2015 10:19 AM

1920 commerical DWM

I have a chance to buy a 1920 DWM which is marked made in GERMANY I read that these pistols are to be unmarked with the GERMANY mark how does this affect the value. The pistol has matching numbers and is in good plus shape he want's 800.00 is this a fair price Not sure if mag. is wood bottom John

Dwight Gruber 05-08-2015 10:51 AM

The GERMANY stamp is a country-of-origin identifier required by U.S. customs law on all foreign-made goods. Its presence or absence on a Luger is value-neutral.

--Dwight

Mac Cat 05-08-2015 12:11 PM

That stamp simply means that the gun was intended for export. It's a marking required in the US to import any gun from outside the USA. A lot of Lugers aren't marked that way, because they were brought back by service members after the war.

You should see if you can buy it with an option to return it, after having it inspected by a gun smith or Luger expert. Most reputable gun shops will give you at least 3-days.

ithacaartist 05-08-2015 01:50 PM

If the pistol is as spiffy as you suggest, that's a very good price, even if it's .30 Luger.

rhuff 05-08-2015 02:17 PM

That price would certainly be "ball park" for my part of the Country.

campfooey 05-08-2015 02:57 PM

I talked with the owner and the numbers do match but its not a wood bottom mag. although it is marked P08 on it

campfooey 05-08-2015 03:56 PM

I looked on Simpson's are all there 1920 commercials over priced

mrerick 05-08-2015 04:25 PM

I think you're seeing the difference between a price for direct collector sale and the retail price a dealer charges. Expect a 30% difference.

Note that the retail dealer price is what you should insure things for, since that is how you must assume you'd replace a loss.

ithacaartist 05-08-2015 06:27 PM

It likely is a later, FXO mag, desireable, worth around $200 if in good shape. Commercial wood-bottom replacement's less expensive purchase would net you a profit if you sell the FXO first, which would get you into this pistol for a bit less.

Dwight Gruber 05-09-2015 07:46 PM

Regarding the difference between direct collector sale and "retail" (E.G. Simpson's): I have learned that if you are just looking for a generic Luger model or bargain hunting, or can wait out the time, you can often get a good deal. However, if you are looking for something specific, or want only top quality, very often you are simply going to have to pay the price.

Frankly direct collector sale often works this way as well, even between friends who know what their Lugers are worth and respect each other's sensibilities.

--Dwight

campfooey 05-10-2015 11:11 AM

Thanks for the help for 800.00 it seems like a ok deal John

alvin 06-20-2015 06:43 PM

In general, C&R collecting is a money game. Dumping money in, some nice items will come. But very nice one could also come very cheap. Even including rare items. All you need is knowing what you're looking at, plus luck to meet a few.

Back some years ago, a collector told me "there are some sellers willing to sell their guns undervalue". Sounds like unbelievable, but I found that's true.

So, it's not pure money game.

campfooey 06-21-2015 07:24 PM

I bought the pistol and got a box of ammo. It shoots and feeds great, thanks for your input John

cirelaw 06-21-2015 07:45 PM

I look at it from a different perspective. A luger has a self life for years to come and will continue to go up in value! The shelf life of cash in your pockets is only a few minutes. especially if you are married! If you so decide, you can someday sell it for more than you paid years ago! If you want you can decide what to do with the proceeds or hold it for some future investment, commodity or maybe another luger. I have never regretted any of my purchases! Also they are usually divorce proof in many states~ ~~Eric

DonVoigt 06-21-2015 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirelaw (Post 273210)
I look at it from a different perspective. A luger has a self life for years to come and will continue to go up in value! The shelf life of cash in your pockets is only a few minutes. If you so decide, you can someday sell it for more than you paid years ago! If you want you can decide what to do with the proceeds or hold it for some future investment, commodity or maybe another luger. I have never regretted any of my purchases! Also they are usually divorse proof! ~~Eric,

I can't agree with your comment on "divorce proof"; I know too many guys that did not escape with their lugers or other collectables or even their shirt at times.

Maybe they did poor planning, or just plan screwed up; but
collections are like any other property, it gets divided.:soapbox:

alvin 06-21-2015 09:17 PM

Personally, I don't understand why many people only buy guns, and don't sell any. I agree that it's hard to make money from frequent buy and sale (unless bought it undervalue). Don't know other people's situation, not make money from this type of trading is OK with me. I am not living on this. Through buy and sell, buy and sell, buy and sell, ...., buy and sell, more C&R will pass though my hands, I can touch more guns. Of course, some guns are keepers forever, ,,, , if you only buy keepers, then, different story. But if you only buy keepers,,,, how do you know which one is keeper initially... What collectors initially buy were almost invariably from reputable C&R dealers, I acquired one from Simpson and one from FGS in the past, I believed they were keepers, at least initially I thought so, but later found there are better ones, either from price, or from condition, or from completeness point of view... they were excellent pieces, but all resold. Having said that, however, I noticed there is a "balance" point in this, after that, it becomes harder and harder.

Rick W. 06-21-2015 09:23 PM

The keepers call to you.

cirelaw 06-21-2015 09:31 PM

I am referring to premarital assets. I am now on my third and hope that three times a charm! My second said what hers is hers a what mine is also hers! Messy

Ron Wood 06-21-2015 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvin (Post 273212)
,,,, how do you know which one is keeper initially...

The quick answer is you do your homework. But that is not how it happens 99% of the time. Us geezers always tell the new guys to buy books before jumping into the murky waters, but the heat of the hunt throws good judgement out the window. It is only the remorse of a dumb purchase that usually is required to stimulate "book learnin'".

CAP Black 06-21-2015 10:38 PM

In 1976 I purchased a custom made muzzle loading rifle - a real beauty and extra fine shooter. My wife called it a foolish purchase and was mad for 14 years. In the divorce, in 1990, she tried to get that rifle, which seemed kind of ridiculous, but didn't succeed. Then she tried to purchase it from me.
There is a lesson about women and guns there; somewhere, I think.
Jack