LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Luger Accessories (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Original? Luger Takedown Tool (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=33117)

triode 08-23-2014 09:10 AM

Original? Luger Takedown Tool

I am new to Luger collecting, and just picked up a matching 1938 S/42. I am looking for an original tool to go with it and found this on Ebay. I been comparing it to other pictures, but can't tell for sure if it is truly original or a fake.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231311299992...84.m1423.l2648

SteveM 08-23-2014 11:54 AM

Blurry pics, hard to say..

klaus 3338 08-23-2014 01:42 PM

Looks good to me.

triode 08-26-2014 12:22 AM

Thank you for the feedback.

Sergio Natali 08-26-2014 07:23 AM

I'm not that expert on takedown tools, here there is a lot of them "looking" genuine but quite often they are jus wll mae fakes; but to me this one looks like an original one, is it possible to see a better picture of it?

triode 09-03-2014 08:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by luger.parabellum (Post 259390)
I'm not that expert on takedown tools, here there is a lot of them "looking" genuine but quite often they are jus wll mae fakes; but to me this one looks like an original one, is it possible to see a better picture of it?

Here are some better pics; thank you in advance.

lugerholsterrepair 09-03-2014 09:59 PM

The one you show here..from these pics I don't like it. Do you have it in hand? There appears to be NO lip in the hole to grasp the follower button and hold the tool onto it for loading. Fake tools are often made this way and they just slip off the button. Could just be the pics but I don't see it. I also suspect the blue/black color and metal texture? Looks painted..I can't see the screwdriver tip well enough either...too dark.

ithacaartist 09-04-2014 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 259682)
The one you show here..from these pics I don't like it. Do you have it in hand? There appears to be NO lip in the hole to grasp the follower button and hold the tool onto it for loading. Fake tools are often made this way and they just slip off the button. Could just be the pics but I don't see it. I also suspect the blue/black color and metal texture? Looks painted..I can't see the screwdriver tip well enough either...too dark.

In the eBay pic, the light is coming from overhead, slightly to the right and behind the tool--check out the shadows... The radius on the bottom of the button hole has a hint of a lip. Compare the edge there to one oriented the same way to the light, the upper right shoulder. eEven when you consider that the button hole, milled, will appear slightly sharper than the stamped edge of the shoulder, there's something more there. None of these photos is particularly revealing, due to bad angles, being out of focus, and glaring light.

klaus 3338 09-04-2014 02:06 AM

I have 6 light different variations of the stick winged eagle with 63. It seems to be the tool with the greatest of the eagle 63 acceptance marks. I have not seen many of this variation but it is with the smallest of them rare. Without a doubt it is original.

John Sabato 09-04-2014 12:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by lugerholsterrepair (Post 259682)
There appears to be NO lip in the hole to grasp the follower button and hold the tool onto it for loading. Fake tools are often made this way and they just slip off the button. Could just be the pics but I don't see it.

Jerry, I think the shadows in the photo are obscuring the view of the "lip"... I tried looking at the photo in high magnification..., and then played with the brightness and contrast, and came up with this. I think the lip is there...

Ron Wood 09-04-2014 12:17 PM

John, I tried the same thing and I agree that it appears that there is a "lip"...but man, that has to be the most shallow lip I have seen. I am glad Klaus authenticated it.

Edward Tinker 09-04-2014 12:46 PM

yes, if Klaus says its good, well its good :)

the eagle 63 also was a marking for more years than many other acceptance stamps too I would say?

triode 09-05-2014 09:13 PM

Thank you for the info. I checked and there is a lip. Now I know more of what to look for; much appreciated.