LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Appraising a Luger..... (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=31410)

Sonofeugene 10-19-2013 05:39 PM

Appraising a Luger.....

I have a Luger that I inherited some 34 years ago from my father and while I've had a couple guys look at it, they really didn't know the gun. So, I'm looking for someone in the south bay area (San Jose/Sunnyvale or as close as possible) who I can take it to for an opinion on it's worth. The main question I have is has it been re-blued or is the finish original?

The rest of it, I already know. All numbers match, both exterior and interior, except the magazine. The bore is a little rough but fine for shooting. (I plan to put a few rounds through it in the next few weeks.) And the wood grips, though a little dirty, are not soaked through with oil. There is one small missing corner of the left grip at the top/back of the grip where the safety is.

Oh, and it's a 1942 ybf. And I have some of the original communications between the seller (originally in Missouri, as I recall) and my father. He bought it and a box of ammo in 1948 for 35 dollars.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Sonofeugene 10-19-2013 05:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh, and I think you guys may get a kick out of the grips my father added. (I have the originals as well.) I always thought he made them, but now I'm not so sure.

mrerick 10-19-2013 06:01 PM

With all original parts, in original finish and 95% condition, it would be worth $1400-$1500 to a collector, and more at retail. If the magazine is original and numbered to the gun properly add another 35%-40%. Post some closer detail pictures and we might be able to tell you if it's original finish.

These guns were completely salt blued, and should show something of the surfaces grain and machining in some areas. if the edges are rounded, it is refinished. If they are sharp it might be original.

My first impression is that the frame edges are rounded, and that it has been refinished at some point. If that's true, it is a shooter grade gun, worth $1000 or so. You can also look for any pitting and see if it has been blued over.

As collectors here, we prefer Lugers in their original configuration. That said, your grips are pretty unique.

Your 42 byf Luger was manufactured by Mauser in Oberndorf, Germany in 1942. The serial number includes the suffix letter on the front of the frame under the 4 numeric digits.

Look at sites online like Simpson Ltd. to get an idea of retail / insurance value.

If your gun is all matching, avoid the temptation to fire it. Break a part and the collector and historic value is lost. If you doubt this advice, take a look on this forum for examples of collectable guns damaged this way, and now considered "shooter" grade.

The left grip broke in a place where it's pretty common to break them. Don't replace them if the gun is all matching, and the inside of the grips are properly marked with inspection stamps and possibly the last digits of the serial number. A competent grip restorer like Hugh Clark on this site can repair the damage.

Sonofeugene 10-19-2013 06:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your feedback! I was planning to fire it (I've had a couple gunsmiths look at it and pronounce is safe for fire), but I think I'll wait until I've got a better idea if the blueing is original or now. The magazine does not match and the back sides of the original grips are pretty much free of markings, though I think I can just make out some faint depressions that might be the number 42. I plan on doing a rubbing to see if I can confirm that.

I'll attach some more pix. Looking at the various markings under the microscope indicates the edges are nice and sharp. I'll look again at the various edges to see if they're more rounded than sharp, but I sure would like to find someone knowledgeable in my area to get their opinion.

Here's some more pix:

Sonofeugene 10-19-2013 07:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more pix:

Sonofeugene 10-19-2013 07:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And:

tharpo 10-19-2013 09:10 PM

I have never seen a sear bar spring a red color like that but it goes well with the grips!
Appears to be a reblue to me.

Tom

DavidJayUden 10-19-2013 09:54 PM

Re-blued. Notice the lack of paint in the safety printing? It looks like a very nice Luger, and one that I'd like as a shooter (with different grips), but it has been refinished.
dju

Sonofeugene 10-20-2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 242500)
Re-blued. Notice the lack of paint in the safety printing? It looks like a very nice Luger, and one that I'd like as a shooter (with different grips), but it has been refinished.
dju

Thanks for the feedback. If you zoom in on one of the earlier pix, there is color in the safety printing. 'Least it appears so to me.

Maestro 10-20-2013 03:45 AM

where can i get grips like that :evilgrin:

Sergio Natali 10-20-2013 08:04 AM

Moderator says - if you want to be mean, do it somewhere else

kubel 10-20-2013 12:41 PM

He says he has the original grips.

Sonofeugene 10-20-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luger.parabellum (Post 242515)
That's one way to ruin a nice Luger.

Yep, I've got the original grips. I still think the grips are interesting because they're a variant of what are called "sweetheart grips". Back in the day, Lugers were fairly common so modifying them wasn't a big deal.

Tony Min 10-20-2013 04:10 PM

Edges are very rounded so looks refinished. I would value it at $800 because of that. Krausewerk in San Mateo is the local Luger expert.

Sonofeugene 10-20-2013 06:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I plan on contacting Krausewerk next week.

CAP Black 10-20-2013 09:58 PM

I can't help but to add a comment about the name you have selected; as the Name: Eugene doesn't have a very positive reputation on the Luger Forums - I think.
Jack

John Sabato 10-20-2013 10:06 PM

Reblued.

Edward Tinker 10-20-2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAP Black (Post 242550)
I can't help but to add a comment about the name you have selected; as the Name: Eugene doesn't have a very positive reputation on the Luger Forums - I think.
Jack

??

California vs Pennsylvania for location. not very fair to whack somebody on their choice of a fairly common name...

Sonofeugene 10-21-2013 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CAP Black (Post 242550)
Jack

What??

I am my father's son. Eugene was my fathers name and he served honorably in WWII, landing in the south of France in the first wave to hit the beach. He fought the Germans until he was wounded and couldn't fight anymore. There's nothing wrong with his name and anyone who has a problem with it isn't worth paying attention to.

DavidJayUden 10-21-2013 08:37 AM

SOE:
There is a Russian Luger restorer in PA that goes by Eugene, actually he is Yefgeny (sp?) AKA Lugerman. Some members don't like him because his sense of time is different than ours (he says it wil be ready in 6 weeks, turns into 6 years...), but I've always had satisfactory dealings with him.
No offense intended to you, or your Dad.
Welcome aboard.
dju