LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Father In Law has a 1940/42 Luger (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=29618)

georgespelvin 12-30-2012 11:03 AM

Father In Law has a 1940/42 Luger

I am trying to help my Father-In-Law figure out the origin and value of a Luger his uncle (a Merchant Marine Sailor) gave him in 1942. From the markings on it, it appears to be a 1940/42 model, with a serial number of 979. The Proof markings seem to match the #46 or #47 examples shown on this site, which would make it a Military Proof. Under those markings are the numbers 655 and either i55 or 155.

I'm not a gun collector, but there would appear to be some wear on the handle, which is the brown walnut color. The clip is missing a couple of rounds, so I am assuming it was used at some point, although my Father-In-Law has not fired it once since it was given to him in 1942.

Any help would be appreciated.

DavidJayUden 12-30-2012 11:42 AM

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, we really need photos to be of help here. Based on what I have seen it appears to be mfg. by Mauser as a military arm during WW2. It should be matching numbers throughout including the magazine. But assuming it is matching EXCEPT the magazine, and a bit above average the value of the gun alone, no holster, would be somewhere between $1200 and $1500. But there are a lot of variables to factor in.
Welcome to the forum and we look forward to seeing and hearing more, including how the uncle came to get it.
dju

newluger 12-30-2012 11:55 AM

You make mention that the clip is missing a couple of rounds. By that, I assume you mean the magazine. Please be careful and make sure the pistol is not ready to fire, as having a round in the chamber.

Peter

georgespelvin 12-31-2012 05:22 PM

Talked to Father-In-Law

Thank you both for your replies. I don't think my Father-In-Law will pursue selling it, as the memory for him is more valuable. The Luger was a gift from his favorite uncle, who swapped cigarrettes for it in a Russian port in 1942, then gave it to my Father-In-Law (who was 9 years old at the time) when he stopped by on a visit to see him in Washington D.C.

I have warned him about making being careful regarding the possibility of a round in the gun, though!

Thanks again.

DavidJayUden 12-31-2012 08:06 PM

I for one am glad he is keeping it. That is as it should be.
But of course we still like to see pictures.
dju

sheepherder 12-31-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavidJayUden (Post 226091)
I for one am glad he is keeping it. That is as it should be.
But of course we still like to see pictures.
dju

Yes, if it is a 1940 and was captured & traded in 1942 and not fired since, it should be in excellent condition... :thumbup:

mrerick 01-01-2013 02:15 AM

If you have a holster for it, be sure NOT to store it inside the holster.

It would be best to unload any rounds from the magazine, and make sure that there is no round in the chamber of the Luger (you can remove the magazine using the button on the side, and then (while keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction) carefully lift the toggles and pull them back to check for an empty chamber.

Store the rounds of ammunition separately from the Luger, perhaps in a small plastic sandwich bag.

It would be wise to coat the Luger with a thin coat of preserving gun oil. You can get products from RemOil or Hoppes at WalMart. Also lightly lubricate the Luger's action.

Store it where moisture can't get to it, and check it periodically to make sure it isn't corroding.

Marc