LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Artillery Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=125)
-   -   Fine tune Adjustment? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=27972)

nukem556 03-18-2012 04:51 PM

Fine tune Adjustment?

Haven't got the sight adjustment tool for my Arty yet, but I'm wondering how the fine tune screw works on the front sight windage...I can get it to move using the tip of a small punch from being tight, counterclockise till its quite loose, like slop, until it starts getting harder to move...my question is, is the screw supposed to be loosened, the sight drifted to the right place, and locked back down, or is clockwise/counterclockwise screw turning supposed to gradually move the sight right and left?

Ron Wood 03-18-2012 06:13 PM

The screw moves the sight. If you have a bit of "slop" (lash) then the threads may be partially stripped. I would recommend not trying to move the sight with your punch. Wait until you get your sight adjustment tool and make sure the front sight has had a generous soaking of penetrating oil to make sure it is not siezed. If you encounter a lot of resistance, stop, otherwise you risk messing up the whole signt assembly. Better yet, unless you have some real reason to move the front sight, let it alone. Just my opinion :).

nukem556 03-18-2012 06:19 PM

Got ya Ron....I'm sure replacement screws are darn near non-existent, but I bought this thing to do some long distance pistol-shootin, so I do need it zeroed

lugerholsterrepair 03-18-2012 06:21 PM

Ron is right on the money..These sights can be tricky. They are are also delicate. The first time I ever tried to turn one it broke the sight adjusting tool..There went $65 out the window back in 1990.

Other than the novelty of moving these there is usually no reason to do it.. particularly on a pure collector pistol.

I'm sure replacement screws are darn near non-existent, but I bought this thing to do some long distance pistol-shootin, so I do need it zeroed

Well in that case I would soak the sight as Ron says for some time. I might have a replacement screw around here I bought years ago..I think the front and rear are different?

I also had a special run of French fitted sight tools made with concave heads and steel tempered tips specially for Artillery sight adjustment screws. You might want to think of goint to the hardware store..they actually make a spanner screwdriver tip that might be small enough.

nukem556 03-18-2012 06:27 PM

Well, I guess its not a "pure" collector....its a 1917, all the numbered parts match except grips and only about 85% blue. I did soak the screws for a couple days in Kroil, about the best penetrating oil there is...it even seeps out of the seams in the can!

mastermo 03-22-2012 09:18 PM

nukem,
What I did was from a small screw driver a two prong tool to fit the two holes on the adjusting screw. I got the hint from the forum here. I used a Dremel hand grinder. In loosening it if it breaks the points of the screw driver you're not out too much. It worked good for me.
I removed the adjusting screw and l lightly oiled it and added penetrating oil on the sight.

For zeroing it, I shot at 100 yds. and adjusted the fine adj. screw. Clock-wise for lowering the elevation and CC for raising it. ---If you don't have an idea where it's shooting shoot at 25 yds. and adj. there to zero. Oh, just move the screw a little maybe about 5 degrees untill you get the feel of it. Good luck, :)
M