LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All Post-WWII Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=132)
-   -   My Mauser Karabiner has arrived! (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=27357)

Sam Steele 12-17-2011 02:02 PM

My Mauser Karabiner has arrived!

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Gents,

Well, after 2 months of chats with Canada Customs and an inept shipper/broker, my Karabiner has arrived. Serial number K143/250, it's the only one in Canada. I look forward to shooting her.

Many thanks to Jerry for the sling, and to Mauro and Gerben for the book.

Cheers,

Bill

Vlim 12-17-2011 02:22 PM

Bill,

Congratulations. I'm sure you will enjoy your Carbine!
I would suggest using MecGar magazines for shooting, if the original ones give you problems, as the original Mauser magazines can be stubborn sometimes.

Looking forward to a range report.

hgreer2 12-17-2011 02:25 PM

Grats, it looks as if the wait was worth it.

Harry

cirelaw 12-17-2011 02:29 PM

BEAUTIFUL Do you know who made the case?

Vlim 12-17-2011 03:14 PM

2 Attachment(s)
It spent some time in this cabinet.

And the person who worked on assembling them.

mauro 12-17-2011 03:58 PM

Congratulations Bill!

cirelaw 12-17-2011 04:29 PM

Bill I to own a 1920 carbine that I never fired. I'm looking foward to You making her give up her vaginity. What kind of ammo are you going to use?

sheepherder 12-17-2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlim (Post 204544)
It spent some time in this cabinet.

And the person who worked on assembling them.

Gerben - I don't have my copy of Who's Who In Lugerdom handy...Could you tell us who it is??? :rolleyes:

Sam Steele 12-17-2011 05:24 PM

Hello Gents,

Thank you all for your kind comments.

The leather case with brass corners must have been contracted out by Mauser. I'll snoop around the nooks and crannies of it to see if I can find a manufacturer's mark.

As for ammo, I've bought 150 rounds of Fiocchi 124 grain copper jacket. I know that the originals required a higher-power bullet to cycle the toggle on such a long barrel, but I'm hoping that Fiocchi will see me through.

Small world, as a good friend of mine just retired to Port St. Lucie. He's still getting used to the alligators out his back yard!

I'll let you know the score (no pun intended) when I get her through the paces at the gun club. Thanks for the tip on Mecgar mags.

Cheers for now,

Bill

DavidJayUden 12-17-2011 05:38 PM

My experience is that the longer barrel guns seem to take a bit LESS velocity ammo to function, probably because of the gases remaining confined longer in the firing cycle. Or whatever. Cast reloads that no 4" gun would digest seemed just fine in the Artillery.
But my point is that you may wish to try ammo known to be a bit on the under-powered side, and increase the bullet weight and velocity as needed. No good can come from the toggle stops hammering the frame any more than they need to.
Congrat's. That is one beautiful gun, and I look forward to the range report.
I may have to fudge the numbers a bit but I've always wanted to shoot deer here in Nebraska with a Luger, and a 9mm is a bit enemic for the local authorities. But the longer barrel would help.
dju

lugerholsterrepair 12-17-2011 06:10 PM

Bill, Congratulations! Glad it got there finally! It's a beauty..look forward to the range report as well.
Jerry

Sam Steele 12-17-2011 06:44 PM

Geez......I'm feeling the pressure on the range report:D.

If I don't shoot well, I won't blame the pistol - it'll be because I'm left-handed!

Cheers,

Bill

sheepherder 12-17-2011 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Steele (Post 204559)
Geez......I'm feeling the pressure on the range report:D.

If I don't shoot well, I won't blame the pistol - it'll be because I'm left-handed!

If you're in Southern Ontario, I can give you a hand...I can see the skyline of Toronto from my City Carrier Route on the Lewiston Escarpment... :D

Sam Steele 12-17-2011 07:31 PM

There's my Postie buddy!

It probably took so long with Canada Customs because I told them that I'm a Post Office retiree!

Joking aside, our Canadian firearms people are superfast and superfriendly. The RCMP registration certificate for the pistol arrived about 3 weeks after I won it at auction with Hermann Historica. The Germans, on the other hand, took the longest. I guess that they have more bad guys in their country than we do.:D

Nice to hear from you Rich. We've chatted before.

Thanks for the MecGar mag suggestion (is that you, Gerben?). We have a Canadian supplier about a 5 hour's drive from me (I'll get it mailed:roflmao::roflmao:).

Cheers,

Bill

sheepherder 12-17-2011 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Steele (Post 204561)
Thanks for the MecGar mag suggestion (is that you, Gerben?). We have a Canadian supplier about a 5 hour's drive from me (I'll get it mailed...

You know what would be neat for a Luger Carbine??? A Mec-Gar mag and have Gerry make a *brass* bottom for it!!! :D

(Where's StarOfTheWest??? She'd appreciate this!!!) :evilgrin:

cirelaw 12-17-2011 09:20 PM

One myth. Are Canadians lousy tippers?? That the belief here in Florida!

Ron Wood 12-17-2011 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cirelaw (Post 204565)
One myth. Are Canadians lousy tippers?? That the belief here in Florida!

Not sure what that has to do with the thread?

cirelaw 12-17-2011 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wood (Post 204567)
Not sure what that has to do with the thread?

Its the first Canadian I have ever had a chance to ask! Excuse me this just once!

Sam Steele 12-17-2011 10:12 PM

It's OK, Ron:D.

We "Snowbirds" like to flock down to Florida every winter, and spend some months until the snow melts up here. While we're down there, the Scottish heritage in us (we ARE lousy tippers) takes over. For any of you who are offended by my comments about the Scots, my dad's family are from Edinburgh:p

Cirelaw is probably a close neighbour to a friend of mine who has moved down to Florida permanently - obviously Canada's loss, Cirelaw's gain!

Now, where were we............................

Oh yes. MecGar mags, or something from Gerry Timek? I want to fire this gal with the minimum of stoppages.

Cheers,

Bill the Scot

sheepherder 12-18-2011 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Steele (Post 204570)
Oh yes. MecGar mags, or something from Gerry Timek?

"Or"??? Gerry uses Mec-Gar mags quite a bit...And it's 'Tomek'... :rolleyes: