LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   Trigger sometimes does not work (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=26505)

Ronfromflorida 07-11-2011 07:29 PM

Trigger sometimes does not work

Please I know someone here can help me but I am not sue how to post and naviagte the site.
My 1917 Mauser developed a triger problem I can't seem to fix.
Sometimes the weapon fires several shots without problem.
Then sometimes you have to pull the trigger 2 or 3 times before it fires.
Then sometimes I have to pull the bolt back just enough to see the catridge close it up and then it will always fire.
Please someone must know the cause and the fix???
Help Me... :(:(:(:(

alanint 07-11-2011 08:24 PM

The most probable issue is that the plunger in the end of your sear is not resetting properly. Does it move freely? There may be dirt or debris, which has accumulated in, under or around this little plunger. Clean it thoroughly and see what happens.

lugerholsterrepair 07-11-2011 08:42 PM

sometimes I have to pull the bolt back just enough to see the cartridge, close it up and then it will always fire.

It does not take much pull back on the toggle to recock the weapon. It might not be recocking after fireing.

I agree a thorough cleaning and lubricating would be a first step.

command450 07-11-2011 09:37 PM

It does sound like a typical(intermittent FTF) gummed up firing pin assembly,inside the toggle.

Ronfromflorida 07-11-2011 09:52 PM

Thanks guys, I did throughly clean it already and did clean the little plunder in the side of the Toggle assemply but did not clean the firing pin assembly as far as I know 1917 was the last time anyone was in there.
I will try it all thanks guys though I was hoping this was a typical problem others would immediatly recognize.
But I shall try it all thanks for your prompt replys.
Love my Lugar, I was using it a s a carry gun here in Florida but his reliablity problem nixed that. Thanks Ron

SIGP2101 07-13-2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronfromflorida (Post 197966)
... but did not clean the firing pin assembly as far as I know 1917 was the last time anyone was in there.

wow, remember - trouble shooting starts with a clean gun only.

Lugerdoc 07-15-2011 10:21 AM

Ron et al, By definition a 1917 Mauser PO8 would have to be a mismatched shooter. Quite often when putting together such a luger, the parts will not be properly hand fitted. I agree that it sounds like it is not disconnecting properly on recoil. Most likely the trigger lever in the side plate is not allowing the disconnector plunger to pass under it for a second shot. This is common on parts guns and usually requires some fitting of the trigger lever. TH

Thor 07-15-2011 11:25 AM

Lugerdoc and Alanint are right. Also does the spring power of that small plunger on the end of the sear bar have plenty of power, sometimes those need to be replaced if they are weak or the plunger sticks. The top of the lever Lugerdoc mentioned is probably not moving away from the plunger enough to allow it to reset. Lugerdoc can fix many of these problems.

marshombre 07-15-2011 01:57 PM

You have a Mauser with a 1917 chamber date? I'm no expert, but Mauser did not produce Lugers until the 1930s.
It sounds to me like you have a mixed parts gun with faulty firing pin to sear engagement.
This guy is #1. Lugerdoc aka Tom Heller at <hellerarms@webtv.net>
PM me if you live near Tampa, maybe I can help. Good luck, MR

Marshombre- you post was moved because the original poster duplicated his original message, so you answer may or maynot seem in order as it is the last post on this thread and the first response on the duplicate message. Moderator

Ronfromflorida 08-03-2011 09:56 PM

Hi marshombre

Yes I live in St Pete. I am going to take it apart tonight and clean the firing pin area.
But I might want your help and would drive over to Tampa for it.\
Thanks for the offer. Ronnie

Ronfromflorida 09-14-2011 08:04 PM

marshombre is your offer still valid?
I have completely cleaned the thing reassembled it to no avail.
I'll drive where ever in Tampa or St Pete if you will just look at it with me.
Ronnie (727) 471-8936
or rndubs@hotmail.com

Ronfromflorida 09-14-2011 08:08 PM

Can anyone give me the step by step firing sequence from trigger pull to the reset for the next firing?

SIGP2101 09-15-2011 03:51 PM

If I could only attach .AVI files you would be able to see entire step by step firing sequence.