LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   All P-08 Military Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   Odd 1938 Mauser Luger? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=24024)

jeffs 05-04-2010 08:09 AM

Odd 1938 Mauser Luger?

Dear Experts:

Can anyone make heads or tails of the origin of this Luger on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=167597149

It purports to be a .30 caliber 1938 Mauser, and it has unusual markings (besides being nickeled!).

Thanks,
Jeff

sheepherder 05-04-2010 08:30 AM

Now that is a sharp looking Luger!!! If it had the white Franzite grips, it would be excellent!!!

Bookmarked!!! If it doesn't go much higher, I may snatch that up myself!!!

Thanx for the heads-up!!! :thumbup:

BTW: Where did you see that it is 30 cal??? :confused:

alanint 05-04-2010 08:36 AM

The barrel is marked "ca. 7.65"
The markings are odd, starting with the single eagle on the right receiver to the two large eagles on the barrel and what appears to be a hand engraved caliber marking

Norme 05-04-2010 08:43 AM

If this gun has 1938 on the chamber (not shown in the photos), then it is a real "Mixmaster". Luger frames weren't marked P08 until 1941. Regards

zinfull 05-04-2010 11:29 AM

What about the lazy C/n and lone e/s. Looks to be a police issue gun.

jerry

sheepherder 05-04-2010 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanint (Post 177715)
The barrel is marked "ca. 7.65"

Thanks! I missed that! :thumbup:

It has the comma rather than the American period...maybe a European re-barrel???

They even plated the takedown lever spring...that's dedication!!! ;)

Hmmm...Safety lever doesn't look like it's been used much since being plated...

White ivory grips w/Swastika medallions...I recall seeing a pic of something like that here...or linked here...those would look great on this nickel Luger!!!

Definately a gunshow table crowd getter!!! I can see arguments & maybe fistfights breaking out over this piece!!! :D

Ron Smith 05-04-2010 01:16 PM

The E/J and E/N on the barrel are 1940 rework proofs. This is an odd one for sure. This is the best nickel plating I have seen on any Luger, very well done.

sheepherder 05-04-2010 01:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Smith (Post 177731)
The E/J and E/N on the barrel are 1940 rework proofs. This is an odd one for sure. This is the best nickel plating I have seen on any Luger, very well done.

+ 1

Here's a couple pics, in case you're at work and can't connect...

sheepherder 05-04-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffs (Post 177712)
Dear Experts:

Can anyone make heads or tails of the origin of this Luger on Gunbroker:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=167597149

It purports to be a .30 caliber 1938 Mauser, and it has unusual markings (besides being nickeled!).

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff -

Are you going to bid on this??? If you are, I'll hold off...otherwise, I'll be on it like a duck on a June bug... :D

I have a set of black bakelite Russian grips that will look *great* on this booger... :thumbup:

Oh, and I requested pics of chamber & toggle... ;)

Ron Smith 05-04-2010 02:34 PM

The Crown/U is a Mauser Oberndorf commercial proof. This thing is really an enigma of parts and proofs. All of the marks indicate that it is a Mauser Commercial rework. I would be curious if it has a Banner toggle.

jeffs 05-04-2010 03:26 PM

Postino

Please go ahead and bid--I'm not going to. I was just curious about it's origin!

Jeff

sheepherder 05-04-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffs (Post 177737)
Postino

...go ahead and bid--I'm not going to...

I will do just that! I've long been a fan of the SS Lugers, but have been put off by the comments in the magazines of the day on the metallurgy...

I have some experience with hard [industrial] chrome plating; decorative [3-layer] chrome plating; and nickel plating. It's interesting that he actually alludes to one common problem with nickel plating - the plating not adhering.

It doesn't appear to have been over-buffed; the ear recesses were left unbuffed; edges look crisp; markings look clear. I would expect it to be tight in some areas, but maybe not...

I'm waiting to hear a response to my request for more pics...If I don't get any response, or if it's questionable, then I'll pass...

I have set a ceiling for my bid, and it's not hard to guess what it is, but there may be others out there (or even in here) who would like to add this to their...accumulation...so we shall see what we shall see... :D

alvin 05-04-2010 08:14 PM

Nice cooperation. Collectors should not compete with each other to pump the price up, take turns, everyone will eventually get what they want at lower cost.

drbuster 05-04-2010 09:17 PM

This Mauser appears to have originated as a military pistol, but reworked (factory?) for some reason, commercialized with E/N proofs and rebarrelled to 30 luger. Must have been some special order item...and in the midst of wartime!

sheepherder 05-04-2010 09:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Oh, boy! It sure is a special order item!!!

The seller sent me a pic of the top view...Nice big one; the toggle stamping is especially interesting... :thumbup:

sheepherder 05-04-2010 09:32 PM

Yep, you just don't see old world workmanship like that anymore!!! :thumbsup:

I wonder if *all* the numbered pieces are CNC cut???

Now I'm really in a quandary...Raise my ceiling, or lower it??? It's really beautiful work, of its kind...

Too bad he didn't cut a skull & bones in the chamber... :(

alvin 05-05-2010 02:42 AM

Please Wait.... where did CNC come from.... although dressed in silver color, the toggle marking still looks correct, period correct matching 1938 s/n 5088k publish in book well. CNC is not dirt cheap, supposed being used in more serious application, if rational.

Can ceiling on gunbroker.com be lowered after bidding?

sheepherder 05-05-2010 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alvin (Post 177771)
Please Wait.... where did CNC come from....

Toggle markings have been cut, not stamped...could be from a pantograph...but not 1942 technology...

But it is nice work...

alvin 05-05-2010 07:03 AM

Good point. Now the question is -- Are "1938" and "S/42" supposed to be cut, not stamped before bluing? Those markings do not have ridges nor distoration on the guns that I've met.

sheepherder 05-05-2010 07:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a comparison with my S/42 toggle...Notice end of letters/slash are rounded, from rotating cutting tool...and where the cuts intersect, it is a nice clean edge, not rounded like a stamp...

Font is different as well...The "11" looks cut also...

Very nice work...CNC initial $$$ is considerable, but with practice, very quick & easy...Something like this could be done in a few minutes...During a regular run of engraving...