LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Early Lugers (1900-1906) (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=121)
-   -   1900 AE rear dovetailed site (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=13799)

hqbmw 01-24-2006 06:42 PM

1900 AE rear dovetailed site

1 Attachment(s)
C:\Documents and Settings\jack hiles\My Documents\My Pictures\Luger AmEagle\DSC00009.JPGerican Eagle\DSC00010.JPG

Hi All,

This is my first attempt at posting pictures to the Forum. Please accept my apologies if this doesn't work the first time. I really want to share my P-code Krieghoff with you, but thought I would start on something a bit more simple.

The two images I have (hopefully) uploaded are of the rear site of my recently acquired 1900 AE. As you san see, the site has been dovetailed for an element that is parallel to the bore; NOT perpendicular! Has anybody ever encountered this and if so where and when? I have found information that points toward the Swiss utilizing this method of changing sites.

Thanks in advance,
Jack Hiles
Mesa AZ
480 219 6676

Edward Tinker 01-24-2006 07:00 PM

Jack, you can upload one at a time, or you can look upper right corner and upload one at a time, copy the url it gives you, paste it into the reply area dn upload a 2nd, 3rd etc,

ed

John Sabato 01-24-2006 11:13 PM

Sorry Jack,

I have never seen anything like the modification of the rear toggle you have posted. It looks post manufacture to me... There is no way to attach anything to it... do you have a photo of the whole gun? are all the part numbers matching?

hqbmw 01-25-2006 12:29 AM

John,

All numbers match except the trigger which is a grooved OE thin trigger. The gun is beautiful in all respects. I will upload some more pictures. It has a thin 6" barrel in 7.65. It is very interesting in that the dovetail looks original or at least professional and the front site is missing. I have a front site for it that will need refinishing before installation.

The only other unusual item is the breech block axel which is strawed, not blued and the eagle is polished to a point that it has very little depth.

Jack Hiles
Mesa AZ

Lugerdoc 01-25-2006 08:04 AM

John, With the widening and lowering of the rear sight apeture and the missing front sight blade, one would assume that someone with impaired vision was using the front sight base as his sight. TH

Herb 01-25-2006 04:03 PM

Just a thought, there was a few Luger night sights around, had a strange name that escapes me right now, something like a cataract or the like. Could it be for one of those.

Ron Wood 01-25-2006 04:20 PM

Herb,
You are thinking of the Sudicatis night sight. It was a "kit" consisting of a rear and front sight that had radium inserts. It only fit on a LP08 and did not require any modification to the gun.

(Noticed your "survivor" patch. I arrived in Viet Nam during Tet 1967 and left during Tet of 1968. Interesting year.)

Herb 01-25-2006 04:38 PM

I knew it had something to do with a cat. I got to VN June 7 67 and left June 8 68. Was initially assigned to A/1/5/ 1st Cav up in the Bong Son plains area and a few months later went TDY to Phan Rang and trained S Viet forces, the popular forces platoons and Regional Force companies in American weapons and tactics. It was the first phase of the so called 'Americanization' of Vietnam. I was downtown Phan Rang in civvies having lunch with the family of my interpreter at his house when the $hit hit the fan. No weapon in hand and about a mile from the compound, I think I set a new worlds record for completing the mile run. lol.

RGARRETT 01-25-2006 04:56 PM

I was also in VN July 67 to July 68. I was on R and R in Hawaii when Tet started and got back in county during the middle of Tet. It took a few helicopter rides to get back to my unit.

Herb 01-25-2006 05:34 PM

Ron, Richard, and others feel free to take the patch and use it, it'd be neat to see how many will show up here, I stole it off of a Marine site.

Rod WMG 01-25-2006 05:37 PM

Jack, how does this sight compare to a normal one so far as height is concerened? Will you have to modify the height of the front sight?

hqbmw 01-25-2006 07:07 PM

1900 AE pictures

C:\Documents and Settings\jack hiles\My Documents\My Pictures\Luger AC:\Documents and Settings\jack hiles\My Documents\My Pictures\Luger AmC:\Documents and Settings\jack hiles\My Documents\My Pictures\Luger American Eagle\DSC00017.JPGerican Eagle\DSC00012.JPGmerican Eagle\DSC00045.JPGC:\Documents and Settings\jack hiles\My Documents\My Pictures\Luger American Eagle\DSC00041.JPG

hqbmw 01-25-2006 07:10 PM

Well THAT obviously didn't work. I'll try again to give you some images of my AE. Ithen hope to do a documentary on the magnificent HK P 59 I acquired.

Jack

John Sabato 01-25-2006 08:07 PM

Jack, there is a tutorial on posting photos in the Site Help and Feedback forum at the top... it was written by Ed Tinker and has walked many a member through the mystery of posting images in their responses... Good Luck.

hqbmw 01-26-2006 05:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
John,

Had a bit more time today and found JD"s tutorial. i thought I had done the same thing with the previous attempt, but will follow the directions very closely.

hqbmw 01-26-2006 05:50 PM

As you can see by comparing both images, the space is a classic dovetail that would hold in an element by an interference fit. All I took were images of the dovetail in question. I will now take and submit more images of the entire gun.
A little more information on the gun itself: it is a 1900 AE with all matching except for the previous references. I have received mixed opinions about wether it is refinished. I do know that I think it was refinished and done to a very high degree of expertise. It has only the S/N (9220) over Germany except for the commercial style of serial numbering. It has NO proofmarks on the right side or anywhere at all. It has a 150mm very slim tapered barrel that is totally unmarked, but has witness marks.

Jerry Burney has handled the gun extensively and is a far better reference that myself. I am young to this Luger collecting, but am very devoted to something that I expect will continue my remaining life. I do READ all the books I can get my hands on as opposed to the manley thing of looking only at the pictures (especially the centerfold.)

At any rate, my intent here is to try to piece together to the best of my ability what exactly this gun is or has been in its past. It is far too beautiful to have been a test piece, but could well have had experimenting with the sites as they are both missing on an otherwise pristine gun. I will take some more images and upload them by tomorrow.

Thanks for my rattling on,
Jack Hiles
Mesa AZ
480 219 6676

hqbmw 01-26-2006 05:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Top view

hqbmw 01-26-2006 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Toggle

hqbmw 01-26-2006 05:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)