LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Commercial Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=123)
-   -   Commerical Questions (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40898)

pauly 02-09-2021 07:26 AM

Commerical Questions

10 Attachment(s)
This is a continuation of a thread I started in War /PO8 section, Mods feel free to move.
So I finally got to see this pistol first hand and have some questions.
From my research I believe this is a Banner 8 line commercial with a late production DMW frame, there is no dimple in the stock lug. The pistol is a 9mm. The right hand side is in nice shape, the left hand side not so much. It is all matching including the grips. The two mags that come with it are not matching.
First off are my assumptions correct regarding the pistol in general? Is there anything else you can tell me about the pistol based on the photos? What about the mags? Last any thoughts about getting the left side repaired by Ted?

Thanks
Paul

pauly 02-09-2021 07:31 AM

Commercial Questions

9 Attachment(s)
More photos.

Edward Tinker 02-09-2021 09:03 AM

I combined these, please make postings of same item in same thread

pauly 02-09-2021 09:17 AM

Got it. Thanks Edward.

mrerick 02-09-2021 10:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pauly, I think you have your identification of this Luger correct.

That serial would be early in the commercial "v" block used by Mauser for these commercial pistols.

The magazines are both military accepted. The first period correct for earlier Mauser military magazines, the second correct for the late 1940 through 1942 period.

The bakelite base magazine is more valuable because it makes any 41 or 42 "byf" Luger a "magazine matching" Luger...

It looks like the pistol is all numbered in the commercial style. Is the side plate numbered on the bottom? Is there a number inside the side plate? Is the safety lever numbered on the bottom?

I have a 1937 Mauser Luger with similar but less extensive pitting and finish loss on the left side. Since it's all matching, it has become my "shooter". I believe this pattern of damage is what you see in long term storage of a Luger in it's holster in a humid environment.

You can make the Luger "pretty" by spending money to "restore" it, but you can never make it original again. It's more valuable as it is than after a restoration, if you consider the combined cost versus what you'd likely get out of selling it after restored. My recommendation would be to leave it as is, and consider using it as a factory fitted shooter - preserving the rest of your collection.

Here's mine for comparison:

pauly 02-09-2021 11:29 AM

mrerick,
Thanks for the reference. The locking bolt and side plate are both numbered on the bottom. I don’t recall if the side plate is numbered on the inside.

mrerick 02-09-2021 06:28 PM

DWM Side plates are numbered on a lower inside edge also. Double check it.

pauly 02-10-2021 06:21 PM

mrerick,

I just had a look and there is no number on the inside of the side plate.

DonVoigt 02-11-2021 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrerick (Post 336845)
DWM Side plates are numbered on a lower inside edge also. Double check it.

Many are, but not all.