LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Shooting and Reloading (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   cartridge OK to use? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42096)

1776skulker 02-25-2023 12:18 PM

cartridge OK to use?

1 Attachment(s)
I have a match 1916 commercial 30 Luger. My neighbor just picked up two fifty-round boxes of reloads for me ($40) but there are two kinds there.

Over half are the usual copper fmj but there are some with lead projectiles. These are about two mm longer than the fmj rounds and I am wondering if they will work in my pistol.

They seem to fit OK in the magazine but they are primed and I am not thrilled about manually cycling some through the gun.

Nor do I have any idea how much powder is in the cartridge.

I don't have plans to shoot my pistol but I would like to know any thoughts folks might have. Thanks.

Mac Cat 02-25-2023 01:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I would be very wary of unknown ammo.
There is a lot of hand-loaded ammo going around, cheap, and it could be bad stuff.
Over loaded or underloaded are both problematic.
I also only shoot FMJ - no lead bullets.

You can hand cycle a few rounds to see how they feed, but my guess is that one on the right is not going to eject easily - the case looks all wrong.

Can we see the printing on the back of the case, too ?

I show the overall length 29.4 mm for my 9mm and 7.65mm.

jeb111 02-25-2023 01:44 PM

Not worth chancing damage to you or your Luger. I wouldn't shoot reloads from an unknown source. I think you should pass.
Jim

wlyon 02-25-2023 03:48 PM

If they are cheap enough pull the bullets .
,dump the powder and save the brass. Do not shoot anyones handloads except your own. Bill

gunbugs 02-25-2023 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
1. NEVER shoot someone else's reloads through your gun.
2. NEVER shoot your reloads through someone else's gun.

It doesn't matter if "he's been reloading for years".
I work on guns pretty regularly that are damaged from " My buddy gave me some of his reloads to shoot, and now my gun doesn't work".

You have NO IDEA how much of what kind of powder is in those cartridges, unless you loaded them yourself.
Unknown handloads are a recipe for disaster.

The only safe road for that ammo is to pull it down and start over. If you have the time and want to make the effort.

https://forum.lugerforum.com/attachm...1&d=1677358609

1776skulker 02-25-2023 05:03 PM

Thanks for the replies--they echo my own thoughts. I appreciate the concern.

The brass with the lead in 'em are Western Cartridge Co. 71s. The others are Peters 30 Luger.

A friend of my neighbor did the reloads so it wouldn't be a problem to find what charges he put in there. I wanted to find an answer to the length situation first. But, even if OK, I have no plans to fire this pistol.

gunbugs 02-25-2023 09:35 PM

Pull them apart or throw them away. A disaster waiting to happen.
Unless you loaded them yourself, they are suspect, and not worth risking.
It does not matter if your neighbors friend can tell you "what load he used".
Unless you watched him load them, you will never know for sure.
DO NOT shoot other people's reloads. It is not worth it.

Kiwi 02-26-2023 12:12 PM

Agree with "do not use" but out of curiosity would weigh the projectiles to see the variance between the lead and Jacketed, and the powder charge for each.

The powder can be used as plant fertilizer.
The primed case and projectile can be reused when you have a powder and load formula.

Edward Tinker 02-26-2023 01:19 PM

I didn't see anyone say anything, but the cannualre (bottom part) and where the shape of the cartridges is different.

rhuff 02-26-2023 02:54 PM

I agree with the info above......I only shoot my reloads in my guns. If you are a reloader, you can salvage the brass and projectiles(if they measure out to be correct). Dump the powder and start over.

I have loaded many Ks of 30 Luger brass, and it can be tricky at times, and neck tension is paramount!!

Mac Cat 02-26-2023 03:34 PM

Ed said:
Quote:

. . . the cannualre (bottom part) and where the shape of the cartridges is different.
I agree - the one on right doesn't look like a 7.65 luger at all.

1776skuler said:
Quote:

The brass with the lead in 'em are Western Cartridge Co. 71s. The others are Peters 30 Luger.
I haven't heard of that one, but it's good know.

ithacaartist 02-27-2023 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edward Tinker (Post 346867)
I didn't see anyone say anything, but the cannualre (bottom part) and where the shape of the cartridges is different.

Yes, the round on the right is rimmed. The shoulder is different shape, and the OAL is just nuts. I, too, don't think it's a 7.65 Parabellum.

DonVoigt 02-28-2023 09:50 AM

The bottom groove is not a "cannalure", it is simply the extractor cut or rim "rebate".
A cannelure is on the projectile and is where the case neck crimps into the bullet.

I agree though, toss the ammo, it is not worth the risk! In fact it would have negative value to me.
If you can figure out what the semi-rimmed lead rounds are, they may be "collectible" to someone- but not for shooting.

JMHO.