LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Repairs, Restoration & Refinishing (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=127)
-   -   First post 3777 DMW 1915 luger fractured (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=40894)

powerhouse 02-07-2021 01:31 AM

First post 3777 DMW 1915 luger fractured

Hey guys my luger has a fracture in the part (004 in the part picture) the part that has the fancy DWM written on it. It's right by the front locking pin. I was having doubles/ triples going off, and rounds jamming upright, and had to inspect the gun and that's what I found. Is there a way to repair it? I think every number is matching on the gun, even the firing pin is original. For a while it was shooting perfectly, no jams at all.

I love my 3777 luger, I must fix it.

Doubs 02-07-2021 02:29 AM

Welcome to the forum and am sorry that your beloved Luger has a problem.

For us to give the best advice, we'll need to see pictures of the gun, especially clear and sharp closeups of the problem area(s).

mrerick 02-07-2021 11:35 AM

No way to know what part "4" is... different parts diagrams have different numbering. If you're talking about the FAQ document's 1908 Luger diagram, it's the middle toggle.

If you're talking about the breech block (in front of the DWM toggle within the toggle train), or the area around the DWM toggle's axle hole, you'll need to replace the part and possibly others that were damaged.

These parts all contribute in an additive way to establishing proper headspace and breech lock.

They are hand fit, and must be properly fit to shoot safely and reliably. Sometimes you luck out with used parts, but not always. Occasionally you will find complete toggle trains for sale as well.

Geo99 03-26-2021 01:10 AM

If your breechblock or toggle link is cracked, the gun is no longer collectible. Buy a new toggle train to keep shooting it. I believe G.T. (Gerald) on this site has some right now - you can email him at gctomeks@msn.com.

Bill_in_VA 03-26-2021 06:34 AM

This is the danger of shooting an all-matching collectible gun. A broken part turns it int a mismatched shooter. I’m sorry Luger University tuition bit you. Reach out to members GT or Lugerdoc. They can most likely help you with the parts you need. A lot of guys (myself included) seek ut a mismatched gun or a spare toggle train so we can shoot without risking damage.

spangy 03-26-2021 09:41 AM

You have learned the hard way that firing a 106 year old #'s matching gun has its risks.
Luger University tuition fees are not cheap either monetarily or emotionally :(

This is every members nightmare and I am sorry that for you it is reality ... having said that I know you are at least in the right place ... people here have the know how and parts to help you and will without a doubt.

Bill_in_VA's advice regarding a spare toggle set or a complete shooter is the way to go for many of us.

Best wishes powerhouse.
Greg

STEINBVG 03-26-2021 12:03 PM

Nice advice from old timers

2 Attachment(s)
It time Luger owner, with the input of old timers here, I carefully deliberated on the issue of shooting my ‘modern’ brand new Interarms Luger circa 1977 and obtained for it the whole separate shooter upper+ a modern magazine.

Even though this new Luger can perhaps tolerate more abuse and is not as collectible as it,s older cousins , I would not want to break matching parts. It would be like undefeated Mike Tyson,s first loss...
Never quite the same.

GT , a gun smith here assisted me a great deal in doing that.
Very happy with the outcome. The shooting experience is superb.