LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Luger Accessories (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   WW2 P.08 transport box (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41673)

spripple33 03-15-2022 09:26 PM

WW2 P.08 transport box

8 Attachment(s)
I recently acquired this worn, old box and am looking for any and all imput/information about it. There is some good info in the green set on pgs. 1661-1663 and it is also pictured in Third Reich Lugers and Luger Holsters and Accessories. I have not found anything on the internet yet but I may just not be using the right key words.

How common are these boxes? The green set gives known dates of 1937 and 1940-42. This one is dated 1939 and the inspection mark is WaA100. Both marks are still fairly clear. If there was any stenciling on the lid, it is long gone.

It came with a crumpled piece of dark green, textured paper that is supposedly what the Luger that originally came in the box was wrapped in. Does anyone know if this is true? The paper is about 18-20 inches square. It has kind of a waxy feel and a slightly sweet smell.

Thanks! -Jason

sheepherder 03-15-2022 10:16 PM

Interesting. What are its dimensions? Can you say how many Lugers it would hold? I don't have the Green Set, only the Red Set DVD. :)

When I read your post title, I had visions of a partitioned wooden crate, holding maybe twenty or so Lugers, perhaps with spare magazine slots. And sturdy leather handles. :(

gunnertwo 03-15-2022 11:42 PM

The green "paper" looks very similar to what the US used to wrap 1911A1 pistols and magazines.

G2

MikeP 03-16-2022 12:52 AM

I possibly am imagining this, but way back in the old version of the forum, seemed like something similar was described and shown as sort of a "ready" box for an office or supply room. Held one pistol.
Might just my mind playing tricks.

Vlim 03-16-2022 09:57 AM

These were issued to the commercial navy and contained one P08 in holster. The lock was sealed with a lead seal.

I believe only one pistol was issued per commercial ship for emergency use.

Edward Tinker 03-16-2022 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeP (Post 343568)
I possibly am imagining this, but way back in the old version of the forum, seemed like something similar was described and shown as sort of a "ready" box for an office or supply room. Held one pistol.
Might just my mind playing tricks.

these are the ones with a metal wire through them and a clamp at the end - so it showed it was not tampered with unless needed.

I saw a P38 box recently that still had the guts.
Same as a trommel mag box, you find them stripped out. Not exactly a lot of use with all that wood separating everything for a solid box, so guts would be removed IMHO

spripple33 03-16-2022 08:40 PM

The box measures 8 1/2 by 11 inches and 4 inches tall. It has enough room for one pistol and holster. They are shown on pgs. 1430-32 in the red set. The lead seal Vlim mentioned is shown on pg. 135 of Still's Third Reich Lugers.

The lid of this box shows evidence of being nailed shut. Perhaps a G.I. used it to send something home in.

-Jason

spripple33 03-16-2022 08:46 PM

sheepherder, sorry to disappoint. I would love to have one of those big crates, too! I have never looked at the DVDs. In the red set, it is under the heading "Cases and Cartons" subheading "Military P.08Transport/Storage Boxes" in vol. 3 if that helps.