LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Holster Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=135)
-   -   Modern holster options? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=36927)

11BravoCrunchie 04-02-2017 08:34 PM

Modern holster options?

Still new to Lugers.

Are there any new, modern style, non-leather holsters available for a Navy Luger?

My normal carry holsters are all Blackhawk SERPA. I have this thing about positive weapon retention.

My requirements are pretty much comfort and being able to run without having to worry about my pistol falling out.

wlyon 04-02-2017 09:12 PM

I have a solution that has worked for me for a few years. Don't Run. I do not know much about new holsters but seems like one could find something. Lugers are a rather unique fit and especially a 6 inch barrel. I would spend some time looking at holsters in a gun/supply store. Bill

Ron Wood 04-02-2017 09:20 PM

I'll bet your mom told you to never run with scissors...I think that also would be good advice for a Navy Luger. Also, ballistic nylon and Kydex just seem so wrong for a 100+ year old gun. :)

11BravoCrunchie 04-02-2017 09:59 PM

To be fair, mine is a reproduction...according to your signature. It is regrettably not a DWM Luger. It's a Stoeger. I don't have DWM money.

Ron Wood 04-03-2017 12:25 AM

OK! Enjoy your Stoeger and let us know how you participate in events with it.

mrerick 04-03-2017 09:29 AM

Use great care when carrying in a Serpa style pushbutton retention holster - and especially if you are considering competing in action events with one.

The only shooting injury we have had in over 50 years at my gun club was a self inflicted leg wound that occurred when a USPSA competitor let his finger slip off the retention release button and into the trigger guard while drawing his gun. Our club now bans their usage at the range during events.

In many ways, the Luger mechanism is now outdated by newer safer designs. I personally would not carry one for self defense. The general lack of interlock safeties and exposure of the sear bar creates opportunities for accidental discharge.

I'm not aware of a modern plastic / kydex holster for the Luger. They may be out there, and I'd be interested in seeing one.

BTW, Ron is also referring to Simson, Krieghoff and Mauser made "Lugers" in his signature line...

Edward Tinker 04-03-2017 12:55 PM

I would go to a large gun show and take the luger with you - the ones we have around here have tons of holsters - a nylon type holster would likely fit your need.

A leather 'Hunter" brand would probably work too, but that is if you find the right one.

Then of course, there are folks who make holsters for you, but that gets expensive. The ''navy'' military repros generally suck, very tight, etc, however you could take one swimming or in a long hot shower (luger in a plastic bag) - let it dry and then clean your luger well afterwards. Those that have form fitted a gun to a leather holster know what I am talking about ....

alanint 04-03-2017 05:23 PM

Many of the larger gun shows have a Kidex holster maker on site that will take your pistol and custom mold a holster to it. I was just at the Ft. Myers show here in Florida and there was a guy doing this.
This may be an option for you.

DonVoigt 04-03-2017 07:02 PM

" The general lack of interlock safeties and exposure of the sear bar creates opportunities for accidental discharge. "

Just how does this happen with a fully assembled luger?

4 Scale 04-04-2017 12:32 PM

I asked the same question re: a regular 4" P 08 and received many helpful replies: http://luger.gunboards.com/showthrea...ry-when-hiking

Based on that thread I found a Brauer Bros. holster Model H-24 that fits my '38 Mauser P 08 'shooter' perfectly. While I understand you don't want leather, in researching holsters for that "project" I found people saying that holsters made for the Ruger Standard .22LR will fit the P 08 frame. I found that is true as my 5" Ruger Standard Mk. III fits perfectly in the H-24 holster. Ruger Stds. are made in 6" barrel lengths, are all metal and heavy for a .22 (my Mk. III actually weighs about 3 oz. more than a 4" P 08). So I'd guess a Ruger Std. holster for a 6" should fit and be strong enough to accommodate a Navy.

ithacaartist 04-04-2017 01:35 PM

The Bauer H 32 06 and Hunter 1100 for 6" will both fit either a Luger with 6" bbl, or Ruger Standard or Mark with long barrel. Be glad you do not have a Navy adjustable rear sight because this would not be accommodated by either of these holsters.