LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Unit Markings (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=137)
-   -   1910 DWM P08 unit markings ID (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=39874)

commisar 09-10-2019 05:24 PM

1910 DWM P08 unit markings ID

1 Attachment(s)
hey folks -
Picked up a blank chamber date DWM Model 1908 with unit markings on the front grip strap.

Appears to be "2.G.G.R. 4. 36" [ pls see attached image for detail].

1st time getting a P08 with the markings so any assist on the unit ID most appreciated.

BR

Commisar

Ron Wood 09-10-2019 06:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Scott,
A rather scarce unit marking, 2nd Garde Grenadier Regiment, Kompagnie 4, Waffe Nr. 36. I am delighted to see another 1908 Luger with this unit designation. I have a 1908 DWM First Issue, SN 1022b, marked 2.G.G.5.6 - it is the same regiment but since these guns were marked at the unit level, the unit armorer for Company 5 didn't bother to add the "R" like the armorer for your Luger from Company 4. (Also note that they had a different idea about how to orient the markings :))
Thanks for posting your early military Luger. If you wouldn't mind, it would be nice to know the serial number and see a photo of the acceptance marks on the left side of the receiver.
Ron

lugerholsterrepair 09-11-2019 11:17 AM

Stunning difference in these 2 pistols!

Ron Wood 09-11-2019 12:08 PM

Stunning but not alarming...the were marked by humans at the user level, and these survivors are nearly in the category of hens teeth. I am fortunate that mine is original finish.
Ron

Doubs 09-11-2019 12:13 PM

I have two 1914 Erfurt Artillery Lugers that were issued to the same Reserve Artillery Regiment. One is stamped on the back strap and one on the front of the grip. Perhaps done by two different armorers?

Ron Wood 09-11-2019 12:43 PM

Walker,
Are they from the same battery/company?
Ron

commisar 09-11-2019 12:46 PM

SA P08 description/images

9 Attachment(s)
Hi Ron -
Thanks for the Guards Regiment ID..I couldn't find an online reference.
The serial number is 2849a and pls see attached images.
This P08 has had 4 lives. Here's the description text provided by the seller.
"DWM P08 SA Tikka Finland 9mm Luger
Luger P08 in 9mm Luger early variation
DWM made in Germany 1910 before WWI.
serial 2849a
Gun is all correct with two WWII era Finland-made magazines
and perfect Tikka Barrel that is 4.75 inch long
This gun had at least 4 lives:
It was originally issued to German troops evident by Unit markings
and served during WWI
After WWI it was reworked by DWM and reissued to police unit in Germany
as evident by a police magazine safety that was later deactivated and visible on the left side of the frame
It served during WWII in German Army (only way it ended up in Finland)
Captured by Finland Army during WWII and reworked and issued to Finland troops as evident by a new Tikka Barrel in perfect shape and an SA Finn Army mark on the left side of the slide.
Typical of the Finland rework, the sight picture is changed to a square cut which makes it very easy to use at the range
Very interesting conversation starter and a perfect working gun to be enjoyed at the range
Perfect bore and overall perfect shooter it has undergone detailed mechanical review, testing and historically accurate rust blue restoration to factory new condition
Tested and worked fine."

Typically I would avoid a rust blue restored P08 but I made an exception in this case as I know the restorer and his work. I purchased one of the baby Lugers from his shop [ pls see attached 1918 DWM conversion images ] and the detail and craftsmanship are Old-World quality.

regards,
Scott

Ron Wood 09-11-2019 01:02 PM

Neat "story book" gun. The unit is Garde Grenadier, that is an important distinction.
Ron

Doubs 09-11-2019 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Wood (Post 327678)
Walker,
Are they from the same battery/company?
Ron

Ron, they appear to be from two different batteries.

https://i.imgur.com/3RR9Wm3.jpg

Ron Wood 09-11-2019 03:39 PM

Walker,
One is from a Battery and the other is from a Detachment (Abteilung), so indeed there would be two armorers involved. I envy you having two Erfurt LP08s!
Ron

Doubs 09-11-2019 11:17 PM

Ron,

Years ago Herr Kornmeyer told me that the 51st RAR was heavily engaged for much of the war.

The first Erfurt Artillery I bought from a well known collector/seller and almost returned it as it has what I think to be replacement locking bolt and side plate... and British proofs. However, I decided to keep it because all else matches and the bore is excellent.

The second came from a private collection at auction and is totally matching although the magazine numbers are suspect. The remainder of the pistol is righteous and the magazine is Erfurt. It also has a pristine bore.

I think it's rather rare to own Lugers from the same regiment and even less common that they are Erfurt Artillery models.

Walker

Proofed 11-11-2019 03:49 AM

commissar
Thanks for the really great pics, nice pistols

MikeP 11-11-2019 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have a 1910 with the grip marked 1 U. 3. 12.
Serial is 5582L
Thnere was something engraved on the side and someone ground it off.
I have had it over 50 years.

LU1900 11-11-2019 09:32 PM

Can we have a picture about the nice "1 U. 3. 12" stamp
Got 4,5,6 U in my data but none 1,2,3.
Thanks

MikeP 11-11-2019 11:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The best I can do right now.