LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Off Topic & Other Firearms (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=142)
-   -   Field Stripping firearms (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=42142)

jeb111 04-28-2023 09:24 AM

Field Stripping firearms

I love to shoot my firearms (obviously, who doesn’t) but I also love cleaning my guns. I don’t look at it as a chore. I will on occasion disassemble one even if I haven’t shot it, it’s therapeutic for me. But I do have some weapons that no matter how many times I’ve taken them apart give me fits to reassemble. As much as I love my Ruger Mk 11 and my 10/22 they are a pain in the butt so I only clean them after use. Just wondering what firearms any of you guys have that test your patience.
Jim

HerrKaiser 04-28-2023 09:48 AM

My FN 1910 always tests my patience when re-assembling it. I had a Mossberg .22 semi auto that was a pain to get back together. I got rid of it and will only get a .22 bolt action or single shot from here on out as a result, with the exception of maybe getting an AR-7 survival rifle for obvious reasons.

Bill_in_VA 04-28-2023 11:38 AM

WTP has to be about the fiddliest thing I ever fought to get back together.

lugerholsterrepair 04-28-2023 12:03 PM

C96, Remington 51, Ruger .22 Pistol and the Remington model 66 nylon.The easiest are the Colt pocket auto and the Luger.

gunnertwo 04-28-2023 01:20 PM

Try this to cure the issue with Ruger 22 autos:

https://majesticarms.com/product-cat...peedstripkits/

I used to dissemble any new pistol I acquired, all the way down. That changed when I bought a Savage 32acp. Very strong spring! Took two men and a small boy to get that back together.

G2

Mac Cat 04-28-2023 05:05 PM

My brother bought my Dad a brand new M1 Garand - it was all gray?
I don't remember who made it, but, it was just awful - I couldn't pull the trigger group down with both hands!

Dad never fired it and he eventually returned it.

Edward Tinker 04-28-2023 08:00 PM

I messed up a C96 (bolo) trying to put it together, that cured me of liking to take them down! I don't mind, but more than basic cleaning, I just don't do it.
Why? In the army, we cleaned them 3 times, which was correct in before the 70's, but when I was in (80's), that was silly (corrosive ammo). At unit armorer school, they told us more wear and tear existed by over cleaning than shooting, i'd bet that civilian arms, that is even more true.

Kiwi 04-29-2023 08:57 AM

Easiest field strip PPK/S
Fidliest - Erma KGP-69

ithacaartist 04-30-2023 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiwi (Post 347192)
Easiest field strip PPK/S
Fidliest - Erma KGP-69

Any Erma toggle pistol falls into the same category, I think. I remember when I first started collecting them, reading someone's post offering advice on their field stripping, "Watch out for flying springs!" It's OK once you learn how to manipulate the toggle train once the rear axle is out to avoid launching firing pin springs and their guides into the stratosphere.

If you meant a detail strip, I'd say it's worse derriere pain than a Luger. Not hard, exactly, but very detailed, and lotsa parts.

Otherwise, my Ruger Standard, 1907 Savage, and the Whitney Wolverine...the latter two because there are small parts begging to be lost.

Vlim 04-30-2023 08:58 AM

The Mauser M2 firing pin has better ballistic properties than the .45 acp it fires. Never, never disassemble it.

Deputywood 04-30-2023 11:37 AM

Smith and Wesson Model 1000 12 Gauge trigger group. The manual said gunsmith only. Did that stop me? No. Six months before Smith and Wesson sent a schematic. I had one part left over and for the life of me, I could not figure out it's purpose. Two seconds after viewing the schematic, all was good.

Woody

jeb111 04-30-2023 12:25 PM

Like I posted originally my Ruger MkII gives me a migrane to reassemble but my H&K P9s is one of the easiest to field strip and put back together.
Jim

gunbugs 05-01-2023 01:32 AM

The Ruger Auto 22 pistols have never given me a problem. I was stripping and reassembling those when I was 10 years old. First one I saw was in all the little bits in a paper bag. I had it back together the next day.
Easiest: S&W model 41
Hardest: don't know yet