LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   Navy Lugers (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=134)
-   -   Navy P08 # 2046b (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=41836)

jeb111 07-02-2022 11:08 AM

Navy P08 # 2046b

I was scanning internet dealers' Lugers for sale and came across a Navy 08 that was sold by Phoenix Arms. The serial # is listed on Norm's list with a forced matched mag, well worn finish. My question was the seller said this pistol has a hold open adjustment which I am unfamiliar with. I looked through my G&S book volume 1 chapter 16 and can find no mention of an adjustable hold open. Is this a rare variant? BTW the pictures of this pistol show a finish that doesn't look worn at all, the seller must know how to use lighting and angles to really hide any imperfections. www.phoenixinvestmentarms.com item #2188
Jim
Happy 4th

Mac Cat 07-02-2022 01:05 PM

Happy 4th, Jim

I looked at the photos and I don't know what they are talking about.
I didn't see any adjustment knob.

Moreover, I can't imagine what an adjustable hold-open would offer?
Strange description and such poor grammar, it makes me wonder . . . .

Norme 07-02-2022 01:19 PM

Hi Jim,
Some time ago Phoenix Investment Arms had an Imperial Navy with a home made adjustable hold open which is not visible in the photos shown. Either the photo shows the wrong gun or it's the right gun with the wrong description.
A word of advice, exercise extreme caution with this seller.
Norm

wlyon 07-02-2022 03:27 PM

+1 Norm!!!!!!!

tharpo 07-02-2022 05:28 PM

As mentioned above, a good policy is to not believe anything this seller says.

gunnertwo 07-02-2022 07:42 PM

+3 !!

G2

jeb111 07-02-2022 09:48 PM

I didn't think an adjustable hold open sounded right so that is why I asked. Thanks for the responses! I had no desire in buying anything I just like looking what is for sale and if something catches my eye I research it. This seller has tripped a few red flags for me in the way they have represented a few of their products and also the prices they ask are astronomical. BTW I have a 08 Navy which is on Norm's list so I am already covered with that type of Luger!
Jim

Norme 07-03-2022 07:57 AM

The term "Adjustable hold-open" was coined by Phoenix in their description of 1916 Navy #6381, a gun that was first listed by them back in Aug 2016. This gun has been a fixture on their website (meaning it didn't sell) for many years and it may still be unsold as far as I know.
How they came to apply this feature in their description of 1908 Navy #2046b is a mystery, maybe a senior moment?
Norm

spangy 07-05-2022 11:28 PM

It's there ... just there ... the right side reveals a knob below the ejector which permits that shooter to adjust the height of the hold open ... a custom or experimental hold open latch.

Do like I did ... consume a 5th of Scotch while intensely staring at the photograph for several hours and it's there ... just there. :roflmao:

"the seller must know how to use lighting and angles to really hide any imperfections." Photoshop anyone ???

Seriously though ... It's a beautiful gun ya ??
I think it would be much nicer without all that "lipstick on a pig" white marker as Norme calls it though.

Heinz 07-08-2022 05:16 PM

I think the blue has gotten better over the years, Ain't patina grande :-)