LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Serial number alignment (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=37708)

BirdOfPrey 09-23-2017 09:20 PM

Serial number alignment

1 Attachment(s)
So, I might buy a luger that looks to be all correct other than one thing I'm not sure about. The two serial numbers on the sideplate do not align. The second number is higher than the first. I was wondering if this was a common thing?

DonVoigt 09-23-2017 09:48 PM

Fairly common.
But it would be smart to post more pictures in case there is something else that looks odd or good!

BirdOfPrey 09-23-2017 10:26 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Thanks for your input. I posted more pics with this post and it also looks like the rear toggle doesn't have a serial number, but I'll have to see it in person. All else seems to be correct. It's a g date navy. Navy g dates have been seen in the d, e, and f series. I'm going to take a stills book with me when I look at it.

DonVoigt 09-23-2017 10:47 PM

A G date navy is a nice find.

Norme 09-23-2017 11:42 PM

Hi Stan,
Welcome to the forum! I don't see any red flags in the posted photos. The area on the rear toggle where the numbers are stamped is very under-exposed (black) and you will likely see the numbers when you handle the gun in person. G dates rarely have numbered grips, but the numbers look legit.
Regards, Norm

BirdOfPrey 09-24-2017 06:15 AM

Thanks guys, I did have a g date years ago which has numbered grips, but had to sell it during my divorce. Stills book is being shipped and will get to me on Oct. 2nd. I'll see what the book says about the grips and take it with me when I go look at the gun to check out everything else.

alvin 09-24-2017 07:00 AM

>> but had to sell it during my divorce

So, money can be parted? Divorce is rich Americans' favorite game, and should be avoided if possible.

There were pictures printed in some publications showing German used hand tools to apply some markings digit by digit, or symbol by symbol. Those inspector stamps were applied that way. s/n on some parts were also applied that way. Very low tech, so misalignment was common.

BirdOfPrey 09-24-2017 08:14 AM

Thanks Alvin, I did see somewhere that is more common in earlier lugers (k and g date). Wanted to bring it to this forum and get some opinions.

I agree divorce should be avoided if possible. She left me bc I can't have kids so nothing I could really do about that. Had a g date and a black widow which I sold to help me buy her out of the house.

mrerick 09-24-2017 10:16 AM

It's not uncommon to see anomalies in the stamped markings on these pistols. I have one from 1936 with an overstamped first serial number digit that is factory. An inattentive technician picked up the wrong die (the second digit's die) then overstamped it with the correct first digit. This passed inspection.

Check the inside of the trigger plate to see if it is blank, has "20" stamped inside or "21" stamped inside.

ithacaartist 09-24-2017 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by alvin (Post 308471)
Divorce is rich Americans' favorite game, and should be avoided if possible.

Maybe not...

BirdOfPrey 09-24-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrerick (Post 308483)
It's not uncommon to see anomalies in the stamped markings on these pistols. I have one from 1936 with an overstamped first serial number digit that is factory. An inattentive technician picked up the wrong die (the second digit's die) then overstamped it with the correct first digit. This passed inspection.

Check the inside of the trigger plate to see if it is blank, has "20" stamped inside or "21" stamped inside.

Which is correct? Blank, 20, or 21? Thanks for the info.

mrerick 09-24-2017 12:13 PM

I have to check the reference material for the "G" date, but it's one of the three. Early on, their production process was still in flux, it might be any of the three for a given block. I'm not near my copy of Don Hallock and Joop van der Kant's book "The Mauser Parabellum" right now.

Norme 09-24-2017 01:25 PM

G date Lugers do not have internal side-plate numbers.
Norm