LugerForum Discussion Forums

LugerForum Discussion Forums (https://forum.lugerforum.com/index.php)
-   New Collectors Forum (https://forum.lugerforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   Nice-looking shooter? (https://forum.lugerforum.com/showthread.php?t=35862)

k38 06-25-2016 01:05 PM

Nice-looking shooter?

Hello,

I don't see myself collecting Lugers (collected early post-war Smiths and pre-war Colt DA's for years), but I want one to shoot. Here's the thing: it must be kinda good-looking and reasonably priced. Is there such a thing as a good-looking shooter? The post-war Mausers have caught my eye. Are parts available? Are they any good?

Thanks,
Bill

DonVoigt 06-25-2016 01:56 PM

You could help us by defining "reasonably priced".

Look at the closed online auctions for what lugers sell for.

And yes, some shooters are quite good looking - but you know what they say about "beauty".

So the answer is "YES", to all your questions.

rhuff 06-25-2016 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k38 (Post 290607)
Hello,

Is there such a thing as a good-looking shooter? The post-war Mausers have caught my eye. Are parts available? Are they any good?

Thanks,
Bill

Yes there are some parts available for the Mauser Parabellum Lugers, but not all parts(i.e. grips). They are excellent made Lugers with very nice fit and finish. They are good shooters.....at least mine, and others on this forum, seem to be. Usually the nicer the presentation/condition of the Luger, the higher the price. One can always purchase a good quality shooter, and have it reblued, add grips, etc.

k38 06-25-2016 05:31 PM

Hi, Don, I guess "reasonably priced" is sorta the ballpark of the Mauser Lugers from the 70's or thereabouts. Rhuff, sure the better the condition, the higher the price with all firearms; I'm too lazy and so on to go the refinish, etc. route, which indeed I have done with some old and tired revolvers.

Regards and thanks,
Bill

DonVoigt 06-25-2016 06:54 PM

If you want a shooter, whatever shape or configuration, buy it from someone who has shot it and will say so.

You can buy a decent shooter for $1000 +/-.

k38 06-25-2016 09:47 PM

I want a ***pretty*** shooter.

DonVoigt 06-25-2016 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k38 (Post 290639)

Two guys look at the same luger, one says it is "nice" the other "pretty", a third says "I wouldn't have it! It's chrome plated" ;
I'm not sure what you think is pretty.

Polished and re-blued?
Original finish 97.5%?
Not rusted or pitted?
Chrome plated?
Matching with a great bore but outside wear?

:confused:

mrerick 06-25-2016 10:20 PM

The Mauser Parabellum post-war guns are superbly made and beautiful guns. You can have them in 9mm for shooting keeping the ammo costs down. Find one without the box and papers and you could probably negotiate a bargain. $1100 is typical for them now.

You could also look for a mismatched WW-II vintage Mauser made Luger. Some of these can be had in decent used (it was a war after all) condition, and they are superb shooters.

Mauser briefly reworked original WW-II Lugers, and these are superb shooters when you can find one. Price is probably similar to a newly made Mauser Parabellum.

There are also Russian Capture Lugers that would be candidates for a refinish hob. Here you're talking more total expense.

I personally stay away from the stainless steel Lugers made in the USA. Too many reports of issues.

k38 06-25-2016 11:48 PM

Thanks much, mrerick. I'd never, ever buy a stainless luger. Most likely what I'll look for is one of the post-war Mausers with the P08 frame. I do see nice-looking 1920 commercials (30 cal., of course) now and then at a price I might be willing to pay. Missed buying one at the LGS years and years ago; bore was "lightly frosted." Otherwise it was very nice, and the "frosting" most likely wouldn't have made a bit of difference. Price was about 500 bucks at the time.

Sergio Natali 06-26-2016 03:42 AM

Bill

Your request could be easily answered if you would find a 1942 P08 MAUSER, even a Russian capture, probably it would not match but most likely you would have a good shooter still in fairly good shape and without spending a fortune.
My two bob.

Lugerdoc 06-26-2016 07:20 AM

bill, I believe that you will find it difficult to find any postwar Mauser parabellum that shoots in the $500 range today. If you do find one needing parts or repair, i purchased all of the parts for these from interarms when they went out of business, so do have most new factory parts in stock. Tom

k38 06-26-2016 09:10 AM

Tom, I certainly wouldn't expect to find one in the $500 range! That 500 was for a 1920 Commercial 20 or so years ago. But thanks for the info on parts for the postwar Mausers. Good to know.

Bill

Edward Tinker 06-26-2016 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k38 (Post 290639)

so **buy**one**

look around until you find a reblued or just happens to be a nice looking shooter - I have had a number of very nice or cleaned up ones (reblued) that were pretty

I find 'pretty' fine, but not what I collect

k38 06-26-2016 10:22 AM

Not interested in a collector.

Edward Tinker 06-26-2016 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k38 (Post 290651)
Not interested in a collector.

What?

I never said you were???

put a WTB (want to buy) on the forum - I assumed you wanted other peoples thoughts - but I guess you don't.

k38 06-26-2016 11:27 AM

No, I do; I think I've got what I need now.

George Anderson 06-26-2016 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's one for you.

Sergio Natali 06-26-2016 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k38 (Post 290607)
Hello,

I don't see myself collecting Lugers (collected early post-war Smiths and pre-war Colt DA's for years), but I want one to shoot. Here's the thing: it must be kinda good-looking and reasonably priced. Is there such a thing as a good-looking shooter? The post-war Mausers have caught my eye. Are parts available? Are they any good?

Thanks,
Bill

Quote:

Originally Posted by George Anderson (Post 290659)
Here's one for you.

You're flipping right George I wish I had a daughter like Tori Nonaka :bowdown:

DonVoigt 06-26-2016 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All my shooters are pretty! :cheers:

k38 06-26-2016 01:43 PM

Don, very nice!